Where can an NHS dentists fit a white porcelain crown?

My dentist did some root canal work in the first molar of my lower jaw under the NHS scheme. He recommended a crown to restore the strength and fitted a white porceclain one at my choice but said it could not be fitted under the NHS scheme, so he did it privately. I cannot see anything on the publicly accessible NHS websites which says this couldn't have been done under the NHS scheme.

The NHS web page listing the treatment that can be done within band 3 (http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx)
includes crowns of various materials including porcelain, synthetic resin or other non-metallic materials. There are no limits specified to the positions where porcelain crowns can or cannot be used.

The NHS Dental Services Explained web page
(http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutN...ges/dental-services-available-on-the-NHS.aspx)
says that "Crowns and bridges are available on the NHS (Band 3, £244.30). As with all restoration treatments, they may need to be replaced in the future. They can also be provided privately. For example, you may be offered a metal coloured crown on a back tooth to help restore the tooth from a functional perspective. You could discuss with your dentist what alternative cosmetic options can be offered privately ,and the risks and benefits of these, to help you make an informed decision." This is not very specific, saying you may be offered a metal coloured crown (not you will only be offered...) and referring to a back tooth without specifying what constitutes a back tooth.

If there are any limitations on where an NHS dentist can fit a porcelain crown, I imagine the NHS will have specified to dentists the exact positions where they can be fitted. Does anybody know any what such limitations are and where I can find them?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Ask a Question