Urgent: Bleeding after implant!

Hello,

I have an implant done on 8/14/2015. It has been bleeding ever since (it has been 48 hrs). I visited the dentist day after, he said it is very unusual and no idea why it is happening. He removed the temp crown cleaned it up, put more bone graft and put back the temp. Today, my temp is fully covered with soft blood clot. I still have pain but manageable with ibuprofen. My dentist says he has never seen something like this and inquiring in his circle and dental forums.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ravi

Attachments

• 20150816_075950.jpg
    20150816_075950.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 385

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
This looks like something called a liver clot. It happens occasionally and there are many reasons this can happen - they are beyond the scope of a layman forum. Suffice it to say, your medical history needs to be reviewed carefully and if you haven't had a complete blood count in many years, that can be done to rule out some systemic issues. You might also be having a reaction to the bone graft, the gums weren't sutured well or some foreign body may still be trapped under the gums like a piece of tooth, a bone splinter or something else which prevents the site from clotting properly. The list of possible causes goes on and on...If you are in the USA and this was not done by an oral surgeon, now would be the time to consult one.

Vote:
Thanks Dr.Barniv. I do not think dentist is an Oral Surgeon. But all these guys do are implants. Anyways, i consulted my PCP to do a blood test. The reports came in today. I see following which are high but my PCP says it is ok. I am not convinced, would you know what this means?

Following are above normal:

Myelocyte %(complete blood work) = > 1 normal value suggested as 0%
Abs Myelocyte(complete blood work) = > 0.1 normal value suggested as 0 K/uL
Bilirubin Total (from liver panel test) => 1.3 normal is suggested as <1.1 mg/dL

Do you see any correlation or pattern here?

Do you recommend me to consult Hematologist?

Thanks,
Ravi

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I am not qualified to interpret the CBP so if your doctor said it is ok, we need to go with that. If all these guys do is implants, I'm surprised they have never encountered this before. It is not that unusual, just not common. Are you located in the USA?

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Not sure if the matter is resolved by now or at least getting better, but if it is still a problem, I would recommend getting the advice of an oral surgeon.

Vote:
Well, the bleeding stopped. The "liver clot" is slowly receding. I still have some discomfort and slight pain but I can deal with it. I am making sure that tooth is not touched by food or anything else.

I am now much worried about my blood work. My physician says it is OK but i am not convinced. Especially with Myelocyte% (related to cancer sometimes). My Monocyte % (related to auto immune disease) is also increasing since 2009. But still my doc says it is ok.

Monocyte %
yr 2009 - 2
yr 2010 - 6
yr 2011 - 6
yr 2012 - 7
yr 2015 - 11

I see a pattern but he doesn't. He is the professional, i have to trust him, but i'd rather take a 2nd opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question