Slight Pressure when Flossing in Between Crowned Tooth

I have a crown that was placed about a year ago over a cracked tooth. The tooth had a big composite filling that cracked and the tooth was crowned....no root canal. I noticed today when sticking my finger in between that tooth and the tooth next to it to pick some food out, that there was a feeling of pressure similar to how the tooth felt when it had been prepared without the crown. That sensitive feeling you get when there is no crown on the prepared tooth. Is it normal to essentially feel some of the pain underneath a crown if the crown is pushed on? I don't have bite pain with this tooth, only occasionally if a seed gets caught under it. I should also note that on the other side of the tooth, a space has been forming and is now a food trap. I think my teeth shifted since the crown was placed. I mainly would like to know if some sensitivity might be normal when the crown is pushed on. If not, what steps would need to be taken to figure it out? Which type of xray would be needed for this? Thanks in advance!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would suggest going to a dentist for a proper examination. I would suggest taking a peri-apical x-ray. It is not normal for a seed to get caught underneath the crown, since this might be an indication of a leaking crown margin. The tooth will need to be re-evaluated for secondary caries, and if found or if found that the margin is compromised, the old crown would need to be removed in order to manufacture a new crown, with or without a root canal, if the nerve is also involved.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Not a periapical X-ray - this will only show up periapical changes, e.g. abscess. To check margins you need a perpendicular bitewing X-ray. The fact that your teeth have somehow moved may suggest periodontal issues. Would really need at least an Xray to comment more.

Vote:

Ask a Question