Should Root Canal Treatment be conducted during Pericoronitis?

I went to see a dentist in my town following tooth ache and funny taste in my gums (which I learnt later was the taste of pus). I mentioned these symptoms and also said that I had undergone restoration (filling) 2.5 years earlier on my last two molars (I don't have the third molar). The dentist after xray said that the filling was erroneous and that cavities have formed in the gaps left during filling. He immediately performed RCT on the first molar, following which my symptoms worsened the next day, and he had to extract pus the day after; when he told me I have Pericoronitis. I was prescribed Amoxicillin, Metronidazole, chlorhexidine mouth wash, and painkillers. It's been 6 days and I have not seen significant improvements. Although the initial sharp pain is mostly gone, now I have pain spreading to my jaw and temporal skull. I am worried if my infection has become severe.

As the thread title reads, I wanted to know if I've been misdiagnosed and if RCT is actually advisable during Pericoronitis?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Pericoronitis is related to partially erupted teeth (like many wisdom teeth). It is not related to Root Canal Therapy (RCT). Without xrays to show us, it's difficult to say more.

Vote:

Ask a Question