Should I do root canal soon? or I can wait for a year...

Hi everyone,

I went to the dentist today. He took xRay photo and the photo is attached (the small tooth has cavity). He said the cavity is very close to the nerve so he needs to do root canal! I asked him for the fees and he said it will cost $2000. I am student and I do not afford this money! I tried to buy insurance and all of them have 6 to 12 months waiting period and they only cover 50% of major problems such as root canal. So buying dental insurance is useless for me!

I do not know what to do. Do you think I can wait for 12 months or it will start hurting soon! I attached the photo!

Attachments

• cavity.jpg
    cavity.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 348
$2000 is pricey for a root canal, I think around $600-1200 is more reasonable. Call/email more dentists/endodontists and get quotes. Make sure you get quotes for both the root canal surgery & crown. Ask if they give cash discounts, senior discounts, or what have you. I don't care for insurance personally.

Perhaps a root canal isn't necessary yet... I don't know. Get more opinions when showing them that xray... email them if they have a website.

Steer clear of acidic/sugary foods/drinks meanwhile, and brush/rinse after eating.

Vote:
You REALLY want to get it done sooner than later. The long you wait the more of that tooth you will loose. Defiantly shop around for better pricing or see if you have a dental school in you area.

Vote:

Ask a Question