How long should you wait before brushing after tea/coffee?

I don't drink coffee but if I did I would have assumed that if I'd brushed my teeth immediately afterwards that the amount of time that any decay could occur would be restricted to the amount of time between when I started drinking, and brushed my teeth... thus stopping any damage occurring during the hours afterwards where trace amounts of the coffee may remain in my mouth. That assumption didn't seem too good to be true because, after all, the price is the inconvenience of having to brush. But I've heard I'm wrong here. Apparently it's best to wait for something like 20 minutes to allow your saliva to neutalise the acid or something, and that only then would you brush.

I recently heard that teeth have pores and that if you brush your teeth immediately after consuming sugary food or tea/coffee that you're forcing the acid/sugar into the teeth in a way that causes more damage than otherwise would happen. In other words there's no way of escaping the damage. Or is there? I'd also like to know which more acidic, tea or coffee? because I've read both. It's tea that I drink!

Thanks

It is recommended to wait at least 30 minutes after consuming coffee before brushing your teeth. This is because coffee, along with other acidic beverages, can temporarily soften the enamel on your teeth. Brushing immediately after consuming coffee can potentially damage the softened enamel. Waiting for 30 minutes allows your saliva to naturally neutralize the acidity and for your enamel to reharden. In the meantime, you can rinse your mouth with water or chew sugar-free gum to help remove some of the coffee residue and freshen your breath. Remember to maintain a regular oral hygiene routine, including brushing twice a day and flossing daily, to keep your teeth and gums healthy.

Vote:
It is recommended to wait at least 30 minutes after consuming coffee before brushing your teeth. This is because coffee, along with other acidic beverages, can temporarily soften the enamel on your teeth. Brushing immediately after consuming coffee can potentially damage the softened enamel. Waiting for 30 minutes allows your saliva to naturally neutralize the acidity and for your enamel to reharden. In the meantime, you can rinse your mouth with water or chew sugar-free gum to help remove some of the coffee residue and freshen your breath. Remember to maintain a regular oral hygiene routine, including brushing twice a day and flossing daily, to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Thanks,

And do you know which is more acidic?

Also, someone else on here said that sodas will remove a microscopic layer of enamel. is that true, and does that hapen with coffee/tea?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Toothy enamel starts dissolving at pH of 5.5
Coffee has acidity of about 5. Not too bad.
Plain soda water has acidity of about 5. Also not too bad.
Most soft drinks (Coca Cola, Sprite, sports drinks, etc) have pH of about 2.5 due to added acid for tartness.
Each pH point is 10x more acidic.
See attached.

Attachments

• Dental erosion and pH acidity scales.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 5

Vote:

Ask a Question