Tooth tender with chewing and percussion after root canal - should I get crown still?

Hi, so I got a root canal done on an upper premolar almost 3 weeks ago. The tooth wasn't bothering me at all beforehand but the xray showed decay, and so while getting a filling done the dentist hit the pulp space and I had to get a RCT with post build up on the tooth.

Even now I still feel tenderness with chewing, percussion, and when brushing and flossing. It isn't as bad as it was during the first week after the procedure, but it doesn't feel like improving. I would rate the pain as mild to moderate -- no sharp pain.

I went to the dentist 4 days ago and she didn't take any x-rays and didn't even tap the tooth - she just trimmed my tooth's height so they don't touch when biting. This has not really improved the symptoms. I've gotten RCT's before and but none that has bothered like this even weeks later. I don't want to get a crown yet unless I am sure things are okay. The dentist charges me consultation fees for follow-up so I wanted to ask you guys what you think. Thanks!

1. It's been 2.5 weeks so my periodontal ligament should have healed by now, right?

2. How likely could the symptoms be due to a fracture?

3. Could it also have been that the RCT was slightly overfilled?

4. Or, just give it more time?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Could you provide x-rays before the root canal and after? Unfortunately the answer to your questions could be all of the above. The periodontal ligament may take a little longer to heal depending on pre-existing pathology.

Vote:
I am in a very similar situation myself. Now 6 weeks post retreatment on an upper 1st molar. It's really frustrating to remain in pain to brushing and touching and not knowing if it will heal or not, what's causing continued pain and how long to wait until going for an extraction

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks; I usually have my patients wait 4 weeks. Certainly don't get crown before pain subsides. If it had a crack, you're more likely to have gum swelling and more serious pain. Without an X-ray, I can't tell you any more.

Vote:
So what exactly does it mean when you have biting pain and pressure on a tooth before the root canal and still after the root canal it’s been 5 months. The endodontist says the ligament is probably bruised. The x-rays look beautiful. The dentist said the same thing he said a periodontist probably wouldn’t even be able to do anything and did not give me any more information. Where do I go from here? This is very frustrating. I had a root canal over 10 years ago that ended up with biting pressure. I never went away and I had to have a cold. I am assuming there is something wrong with the ligaments on that side of my mouth but what do I do? Who do I say I can’t take this anymore.

Vote:

Ask a Question