Root Fillings/Suspect Service??

Hi

I have been having a consultation with a Dentist no for over a period of several months (almost a year) and have had root fillings on two molar back teeth. However I believ the Dentist is not providing a good service and dragging money out of me.

The first root filling I had done (and also wanted a crown which I was happy to pay for) had three visits to clean inside the roots. Each time he put temporary filling to protect the roots. However on the final visit he did not fill in the roots and instead of preparing for a crown he just built up the tooth with composite filling and wanted to charge £125 for that. I asked why he did not fill and put a crown and he replied because he wants to wait for the tooth to settle for several months.

The second toot was split so he extracted part of it (charged me for it full cost of extraction) and then proceeded with a root filling, again with three visits. This time he filled the roots on this tooth and said he would build it up like the last one. Anyway since then the tooth has become loose and an abscess has formed on the gum and he now wants to extract it and I will have to pay for the extraction. So I had all that work done and the probably knew it would need to be extracted?

My thoughts are why isn't he preparing and giving me the crowns as I wanted, I ust think he wants to continuously draw money from me, your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

What you're describing sounds very suspect. Have you considered having a second opinion? Based on what you're describing a second opinion would probably be a good idea.

Vote:
Thanks, I have already started the process for a second opinion. Would that just be a normal checkup and to ask for a report on the work done? I would like to reclaim all the money I have paid to the Dentist as he seems to be getting nowhere with the treatment.

Vote:
You will need a checkup and ask for a written treatment plan. Also, if possible get copies of your x-rays from the previous dentist so you don't have to pay for them again.

Good Luck

Vote:
The second opinion Dentist said the root canal has a 40% chance of survival and there is an infection there. The previous Dentist charged me for a root filling and canal treatment, therefore which was done less than a year ago, is that grounds for a refund? Theother tooth has no chance and has to be extracted with the possibility of an implant procedure.

Vote:
Unless the second opinion dentist said that the root canal was done improperly you might be out of luck. An x-ray would show this. I've seen this happen many times. The first dentist may choose to give you a partial refund but if you can't prove malpractice, unfortunately it's up to their discretion.

Vote:

Ask a Question