root canal and cracked tooth

Had root canal and dentist says can't save tooth as it's cracked.she filed it down to gum and said have it out or implant. Is there any way of saving what's left and glue a crown on? Can't afford a inplant.

Had root canal and dentist says can't save tooth as it's cracked.she filed it down to gum and said have it out or implant. Is there any way of saving what's left and glue a crown on? Can't afford a inplant.

I have a similar question. I had a root canal/crown done on tooth #18 three years ago. About 3 months ago I started to experience pain that has since gone away. But there is an infection that has presented itself on the outside of my gum. I have absolutely no pain but I was concerned about the infection so I went to see my dentist. He took an x ray and found a fracture between the roots on the molar. He says the tooth needs to be extracted. He is also recommending an implant. It's $60 to extract the tooth and with my insurance coverage the implant is over $4,000.00!

My question is this: Do I have to have the tooth pulled now? I'm not in any pain and if the antibiotic takes care of the infection can I wait? I'd like to keep the tooth for as long as I can because I cannot afford the implant.

Vote:
I have a similar question. I had a root canal/crown done on tooth #18 three years ago. About 3 months ago I started to experience pain that has since gone away. But there is an infection that has presented itself on the outside of my gum. I have absolutely no pain but I was concerned about the infection so I went to see my dentist. He took an x ray and found a fracture between the roots on the molar. He says the tooth needs to be extracted. He is also recommending an implant. It's $60 to extract the tooth and with my insurance coverage the implant is over $4,000.00!

My question is this: Do I have to have the tooth pulled now? I'm not in any pain and if the antibiotic takes care of the infection can I wait? I'd like to keep the tooth for as long as I can because I cannot afford the implant.

I had the SAME problem. A molar that already had a RC on fractured at the root. I bit on a piece of candy and HEARD the fracture. Apparently, that tooth had 4 roots.It was holding a bridge. I let it go for 3 years and it was ine. I finally had it extracted at the insistence of my dentist and got an implant bridge to the tune o 8K. If I had to do it over, I would have continued to wait for it to become a problem.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Waiting till you perceive a problem can result in a very bad long-term outcome. If nothing else, you may be living with a chronic, albeit low grade, infection for years. That alone can trigger countless medical conditions or aggravate existing ones. Your body does not deal well with chronic infections. Secondly, by the time you "feel the need" to do something, a lot of destruction around your gums and bone will have taken place. This means it will be more expensive, difficult or impossible to do an implant later on. You are better off taking out the affected tooth and doing an implant when you can afford it than to let it ride until it becomes unbearable. There is no way currently in dentistry to even temporarily fix a tooth which has a fractured root.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
My friend was recently in the same boat. Dentist cracked her tooth during a root canal and told her that her only options were an extraction or implant (I think the quote was for ~$8,000!). She couldn't afford a US implant so she had to get a dentist in Mexico to do it and luckily found a good one. Let me know if you need a recommendation. :)

Vote:

Ask a Question