Root canal on back tooth and now neighboring tooth is cracked

I had a root canal done on my very back left lower molar over the summer. I went round and round with the dentist who made the crown about how it was too high, so they remade the crown out of metal. It ended up being a three month long process, with most of this time spent with a temporary crown.

I went to my normal dentist after the dentist who did the crown told me that he would not adjust the crown anymore because nothing was wrong with it and I just had to get used to it. My normal dentist filed it down and fixed me up and all was well. However, after I had to go in to have it filed down just a bit more because I was having pain (this was two days ago), she started filing down the neighboring tooth without telling me. It hurt very badly when she did this and afterward she said that she did it because that tooth was too high, too. Now I am having immense pain there when I bite, a dull, achy pain almost always, and it is sensitive to cold liquids.

I love my dentist, and I think she's so intelligent, but I'm just very confused as to why I didn't have this pain before she started filing it down. It's just frustrating because I didn't ask her to mess with that tooth, she did, and now I have to deal with this pain until January when my insurance max restarts. I am working so much and going to school and I just cannot afford this stuff.

Could the trauma from the root canal on the neighboring tooth have caused it? Could the pain perhaps just be a bit of lingering pain from the filing down process? She said she's pretty sure the tooth is cracked, but then why didn't it hurt me until she messed with it? I don't want to start trouble with my dentist, and I hate to be a bother in general, but I am just so frustrated and upset. Any and all advice is appreciated. Best to you all.

Ask a Question