Questions about a Bridge?

Solutions
I have a crown that over a two year period has loosened several times and has had to be re-cemented each time. The reason for this is that root is short, so the post (on the crown is short also). My dentist has suggested three options. A one tooth denture, a bridge or an implant.
The option I am considering for the future is a bridge. The teeth either side of the crown are also crowned, but fairly strong..my gums are also healthy.
What is the exact procedure to make a bridge? Will the dentist have to remove the crowns either side of the weak crown to make a bridge? Also, are temporary crowns fitted whilst waiting for the bridge?
Many thanks (links are welcome)

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
With the choice of implant vs bridge, I would recommend implant because the dentist won't have to drill on adjacent teeth. A bridge involves drilling or removing existing crowns on both sides of the missing area (abutment teeth). Any drilling to teeth including removing the existing crown traumatizes the nerve (root canal) and weakens the teeth. You may experience sensitivity after the drilling and many times intense enough to require root canal treatment which further weakens the abutment bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question