Supraeruption questions

Bear with me on the many details!

I'm 23 years old and went to the dentist early this year for my first cleaning in quite awhile. I found out (yes this sounds crazy that I didn't know before) that I genetically don't have wisdom teeth or my second molars on my jaw. I have second molars on the top and my wisdom teeth on the top never came in.

At my first cleaning the dentist said my teeth looked great, but my second molars erupted and are pretty low. He claimed that while my teeth are great, it was pushing my teeth forward slightly and that getting invisalign or braces would push back the teeth and in turn pull up the supraeruption. He said I wouldn't have any issues though until I'm 40-50.

A few weeks later I ended up going back for an unrelated visit and I saw a second dentist at the practice. She said that the supraeruption was not pushing my teeth forward and that it's possible to just put a brace on the two second molars and pull them up. Or, I could wear a mouthguard at night and it would provide 8hours of an opposition and help prevent it moving down more. She said invisalign wouldn't help and she didn't seem to concerned.

I just went for another cleaning today and the third dentist I've seen at this office had a completely different opinion. He said that there is no way to pull it back up using a brace. He said I should have it filed down, crowns placed in, and dental implants put on the bottom. That is quite a bit of surgery and money and totally different from what the other two dentists said. I'm concerned about receiving dental implants when there were never molars or wisdom teeth in that spot before and idk if the bone could handle that. It's very expensive and there are a lot of risks with all of that work. I'm also concerned that I have three different opinions from this office when each of them said they've never seen a case with a person genetically not having bottom second molars. I also asked today if they would grow down anymore and he said no because they're already hitting the gums. So would it even be worth getting it fixed if I've had this for years, am not in pain, never had second molars and it's already hitting my gums? What would be the best way to fix it if it's absolutely necessary?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here are the pictures as example. This is how it is on both sides

Attachments

• 20181112_212748.jpg
    20181112_212748.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 20181112_184155.jpg
    20181112_184155.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 241

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. Your teeth are not being pushed forward.
  2. You cannot push the 2nd molars back up.
  3. You cannot simply crown those 2nd molars without killing the nerve and doing RCTs. It's possible to deliberately do an RCT and then a crown to change the height, and I've done it, but there have to be exceptional reasons, and there are risks.
  4. If you did 3., then you definitely need to follow up with lower implants ASAP or the upper 2nd molars will come down again.
  5. If the rest of your teeth are in good health, especially the 1st molars, just take out those useless 2nd molars. You'll function quite OK without them.

Vote:
  1. Your teeth are not being pushed forward.
  2. You cannot push the 2nd molars back up.
  3. You cannot simply crown those 2nd molars without killing the nerve and doing RCTs. It's possible to deliberately do an RCT and then a crown to change the height, and I've done it, but there have to be exceptional reasons, and there are risks.
  4. If you did 3., then you definitely need to follow up with lower implants ASAP or the upper 2nd molars will come down again.
  5. If the rest of your teeth are in good health, especially the 1st molars, just take out those useless 2nd molars. You'll function quite OK without them.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, all of my teeth are in good health. I've only had 2 cavities in my life and that was this year and they were very minor. My first thought was either to leave the 2nd molars since they're not causing me pain or have them pulled if it ever did become an issue. The second dentist I saw seemed concerned about pulling them at a young age, saying there could then be bone loss and it could shift my other teeth or cause issues. But again, they've always been useless.

Vote:

Ask a Question