Problem with pressure/numbness in front teeth....help ?

A few months ago i noticed a pressure in my front teeth top and bottom, it felt like my teeth were being forced together/back and when i pressed my tongue against them or flossed it would alleviate the pressure for a moment but it would return. This feeling went away after a few days so i thought nothing of it and put it down to a sinus problem as i was having sinus trouble at the time and had read online that it could cause pressure in the teeth and so i didn't mention it at my last dental appointment. This same feeling has now come back again and its driving me mad. The teeth feel under constant pressure and i have to press my tongue against them for relief if i do not do this then the teeth start to feel numb. I would not consider this to be a pain as such however one of the top front teeth has begun to hurt when biting down.

I have recently come back to the dentist after not going for around 7-8 years due to anxiety. The dentist did not pick up on anything in my front teeth during my last exam (not 100% sure if they were seen in an x-ray i know i had an x-ray taken either side but i'm not sure whether that would pick up the front teeth or not) i do need a couple of fillings in the back teeth and a 40 minute session with the hygienist. Im going to try a schedule in another appointment asap even though i'm due back in 1 week to start with the fillings i need.

Another strange symptom is that the teeth usually feel fine after i wake up and the problem does not come up until later in the day. Which makes me wonder if i'm worrying about it to much and subconsciously pushing my tongue against my teeth and then feeling pressure after i have agitated them and they feel like they're pushing back.

Any help as to what this could be would be great as would like a heads up before going to the dentist due to my anxiety about the whole thing. The dentist did not say things were too bad considering how long i went without going and i'm really trying to make positive changes to my oral health. Im brushing minimum twice a day, flossing more and have cut out fizzy drinks and foods with lots of sugar out of my diet. Just hoping its not too late as i can afford implants nor do i think i could cope with the procedure and don't want to have to wear a denture as i'm not very old.

Thanks

8th week:
Pain has gone down, doctor still recommend the same dosage on 400mg Ibuprofen for one more week

9th week:
had constipation, blood in stool and straining my rectum / prostate.. so stopped taking ibuprofen on my own
No more pain on my upper front 4 teeth
The incisive papilla (gum behind the incisor) are still swollen (since early Jun 2018) but doesn't hurt anymore, not sure if this is an abscess. I noticed the swollen incisive papilla is pushing my front teeth forward that caused the weird feeling or loose.

10th week.
Nothing has been done because I was away for vacation since week 8. Yes, I am traveling on vacation with my toothache and rectal pain..... what a waste of my vacation sadly. I will return home tomorrow and get the dentist checked out whether the swollen incisive papilla is an abscess or inflammation. I have been encountering this pain for 2.5 months as I constantly overbiting myself.

Vote:
Solutions
If the blood in your stools is dark red then see your doctor. Even if it isn't see you doc as there may be a good ointment for that.

Good that your pain is going down, but ibuprofen doesn't normally cause constipation unless combined with codeine. Are you still finding yourself clenching?

Vote:
If the blood in your stools is dark red then see your doctor. Even if it isn't see you doc as there may be a good ointment for that.

Good that your pain is going down, but ibuprofen doesn't normally cause constipation unless combined with codeine. Are you still finding yourself clenching?

I honestly don't know why constipation came all of a sudden, may be lack of hydration during vacation or may be i don't chew / break down food enough before swollowing because i pay alot of attention to avoid overbiting.

Since I found out they are the root cause, I conciously pay alot of attention in managing clenching and overbiting. My dentist also made me a day-splint to keep my teeth from contacting. It definitely help as contact and overbiting during normal time were greatly reduce. However, during meal time is inevitable and I sometimes mistakenly overbite myself.

and I think this is causing the front teeth pain. Now I am more worried about my swollen incisive papilla as it has been swollen for 2 months already......and I find this is where the pressure and movement is coming from.

Tooth #10 doesn't hurt anymore, no pressure feeling, and is now gaining strength, but still feel a bit different....... may be I give it another month avoid biting....

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
Could be that you have had a change of diet on vacation. That combined with stress may have triggered it. But a sudden change of bowel habit combined with bleeding is a recommended reason to visit the doctor. If it doesn't go back to normal then you should make an appointment to be on the safe side. Try to eat more fruit if your health allows that. A glass of fresh squeezed orange juice once a day can help keep things regular and improve your gums at the same time, but that's as long as you don't have any underlying medical conditions such as diabetes etc.

Vote:
Could be that you have had a change of diet on vacation. That combined with stress may have triggered it. But a sudden change of bowel habit combined with bleeding is a recommended reason to visit the doctor. If it doesn't go back to normal then you should make an appointment to be on the safe side. Try to eat more fruit if your health allows that. A glass of fresh squeezed orange juice once a day can help keep things regular and improve your gums at the same time, but that's as long as you don't have any underlying medical conditions such as diabetes etc.

I recently had a CT scan and did some blood work. Everything is absolutely normal. I could be dehydrated since I walk on average 13-14km per day during vacation. Since this, I now include lots juice, salad and fruit in my meal.

BTW busybee, how can be swollen papilla treated? the bump is not huge, but doesn't hurt. Could it be abscess ?

Vote:
Solutions
it depends on what's causing it. When I've had anything like that it's been caused by injury when eating and goes down in a few days. Maybe you have a cyst? Only a dentist can check. Why don't you post photo of it.

Vote:
it depends on what's causing it. When I've had anything like that it's been caused by injury when eating and goes down in a few days. Maybe you have a cyst? Only a dentist can check. Why don't you post photo of it.

The whole front area indicated are swollen and feel like they pushed my front teeth forward.
This is due to overbiting and I don't know what can fix this.

It used to be very painful in the past 2-3 months ( May, Jun, July) After taking ibuprofen, the pain level went down, but swollen won't go away........ and my front 4 teeth feels pretty weird.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Vote:

Vote:
My issue is almost 100% resolved. I feel much better. That pressure/numbness/burning sensation was caused by anxiety and my mind focusing on the weird sensation/pain. After a while you start getting conditioned to the pain and the sensation gets embedded in your autonomic nervous system and becomes chronic. Which means you need to reboot your neuropathways.

This means:
-STOP focusing on the sensation/pain and fearing it
-STOP searching for a physical cause
-KNOW that the sensation is caused by your brain and that your teeth are fine
-Change your habits and your daily routines to rewire your neurotransmitters

It's very hard to do and it takes time.

I know some of you will not accept this. I didn't in the first place. That means you are not ready. At one point when you will have tried every treatment/doctor know you will be ready to accept this. But what do you have to lose? It's your life, how long do you want to suffer...

Vote:

Ask a Question