Problem with pressure/numbness in front teeth....help ?

A few months ago i noticed a pressure in my front teeth top and bottom, it felt like my teeth were being forced together/back and when i pressed my tongue against them or flossed it would alleviate the pressure for a moment but it would return. This feeling went away after a few days so i thought nothing of it and put it down to a sinus problem as i was having sinus trouble at the time and had read online that it could cause pressure in the teeth and so i didn't mention it at my last dental appointment. This same feeling has now come back again and its driving me mad. The teeth feel under constant pressure and i have to press my tongue against them for relief if i do not do this then the teeth start to feel numb. I would not consider this to be a pain as such however one of the top front teeth has begun to hurt when biting down.

I have recently come back to the dentist after not going for around 7-8 years due to anxiety. The dentist did not pick up on anything in my front teeth during my last exam (not 100% sure if they were seen in an x-ray i know i had an x-ray taken either side but i'm not sure whether that would pick up the front teeth or not) i do need a couple of fillings in the back teeth and a 40 minute session with the hygienist. Im going to try a schedule in another appointment asap even though i'm due back in 1 week to start with the fillings i need.

Another strange symptom is that the teeth usually feel fine after i wake up and the problem does not come up until later in the day. Which makes me wonder if i'm worrying about it to much and subconsciously pushing my tongue against my teeth and then feeling pressure after i have agitated them and they feel like they're pushing back.

Any help as to what this could be would be great as would like a heads up before going to the dentist due to my anxiety about the whole thing. The dentist did not say things were too bad considering how long i went without going and i'm really trying to make positive changes to my oral health. Im brushing minimum twice a day, flossing more and have cut out fizzy drinks and foods with lots of sugar out of my diet. Just hoping its not too late as i can afford implants nor do i think i could cope with the procedure and don't want to have to wear a denture as i'm not very old.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I've been experiencing the exact same thing for the past 5-7 years. I need to floss immediately after eating or the pressure becomes intense and builds up then last for a days/weeks. If I floss usually the pressure will disappear within minutes.

I always convinced myself that this was due to crowding caused by my wisdom teeth. About 2 months ago the pressure was so intense i decided to remove all 4 wisdom teeth about 1 month ago. However, the pressure has not subsided at all.

I am desperately looking for answers on what do to. I am now considering orthodontics to uncrowd the teeth.

Any advice or anything would be helpful.

Thanks

Vote:
Solutions
I have the same symptoms as you two but it is all my teeth but the front four top are the worst. Been going on since 11/18/2016. It is about to drive me crazy. I have been to all different kind of dentist and doctors and no one can tell me what is wrong. I went to the last dentist last week and he says he can't see anything wrong with the front four top. One of them has a slight crack ( which it has for a long time ). The other three have crowns and two of them have root canals. I am not sensitive to hot and cold, just pressure and tapping or scratching like. They are like this 24 hours a day with no relief. I had a sleep study done to see if I grind my teeth at night ( which i didn't ) to see if that had anything to do with it. One dentist made me a night guard which I can't wear because it is so tight. I did get me as over the counter guard and wear it at night.
I do feel like my bite has changed for some reason and have told every person I have been to and they say my teeth look like they fit ok. At night with or without the night guard is my best time. Even though my teeth are like they are they don't bother me but as soon as I get up and I start swallowing and they come together I am in pain.
I did go to a neurologist and he said it was dental but I don't know one way or the other. I had bad problems with my right eye hurting and some headaches a little while back. Also had some pain in my right nostril area. The doctor said it was some type of neuralgia. I thought this might have something to do with my teeth hurting. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't know what to do.

Vote:
Solutions
I would suggest consciously relaxing your jaw during the day so that when you are not eating the teeth do not touch. You can re-programme the habits you have when you swallow etc. It's just you are used to letting them meet. Try to do this for about two to three days. It may be that when you have any stress in the day you are clenching without realising. At night the jaw is relaxed. It's not a good idea to have dental work to try to fix this because there is such a risk that things can be made worse and the damage can be irreversible. It's ideal to try to change habits and use relaxation techniques, maybe keep a diary of what happens just before the pain starts. I've been told by a dental physio that the best way to immediately relax the bite is to touch the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks a lot for commenting Busybee. I appreciate it very much. I probably did clench some before all this started like if I was straining on something. But I am pretty sure since all this started I don't put my teeth together hard because it kill me when they come together with any pressure at all. Idid have a sleep study done to see if I am grinding my teeth and I don't according to the study which I didn't think I did anyway.
I am like you and I do not want to have anything done that I can't undo. I have already had some of my teeth ground on but I needed relief. It is just puzzling that ALL my teeth are like this, my bite and speech has seemed to change. Most of the dentist say it isn't a tooth structure problem so there has to be something causing my teeth to hurt like this. I just don't' know who to go to.
What's odd is when I went to the dentist last year for the cleaning I also had a fluoride treatment done. First one I ever had and I shouldn't have had that one. ( I am 71) I just think it is a heck of a coincidence that I started having all this trouble after that. All the dentist say it doesn't have anything to do with it. I have got to keep trying to find out what's wrong. I think I have already had a nervous breakdown over it. It's terrible.

Vote:
Solutions
Wow you're 71 and you have all your teeth - that's pretty good going.

If your teeth don't hurt in the night but only after a few hours in the day then it has to be something you do consciously. It would be very strange if the fluoride treatment caused the problem. It could be down to the nerve in your jaw, although you don't mention pain elsewhere or ringing in your ears. Has your dentist not suggested wearing a guard during the day for a while to see if that provides relief? It's really more of a diagnostic tool to see if your bite is the problem. You haven't had an accident or anything that may have affected your neck or jaw recently? Does your jaw click?

Vote:
Solutions
Yeah, I have been wearing over the counter at night. I have some trouble with the front top teeth at night bothering me. If I take the night guard out and they come together they hurt. They hurt basically all the time. I have worn a night guard off and on since all this started but it HASN'T helped my teeth any. No accidents and my jaw doesn't pop. A few of the dentist say I don't have a tmj problem. Sorry I am missing two teeth.
I am still convinced it has something to do with the fluoride treatment. I can up on a site that people had taken fluoroquinolone antibiotics and have the same symptoms I have. It messes up the nerves inside the tooth, the tooth calcified and start breaking off and they end up having all them pulled. The dentist can't see anything wrong with the teeth. All my trouble within 3 or 4 weeks after the fluoride treat me. I have no idea if it was done right. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Vote:
I think I finally found where all this is coming from. I have bruxism due to the shape of my jaw (upper jaw narrower than lower), and my molars have been somewhat ground down. My bite is therefore focusing on the front teeth only which puts a huge amount of pressure on them which they should never receive.

Since discovering this, I've been mostly eating soft foods with my molars and basically never using my front teeth anymore. And after a few days the pressure and numbness is much less painful! I'm using coton balls in my upper jaw as a cheek retractors for the past week and this prevents my lips from knocking my front teeth (Just talking and have the lips smack against my front teeth would start the pressure again). I also have been using Oral Anesthetic Paste and rubbing in on my upper gum and it helps a lot too. Sucking on ice cubes also helps a lot in my case

I'm sure after a while the pain will completely disappear by being careful. The key in my opinion is to NEVER use the front teeth for the pain to disappear. (no more apples, sandwiches, burgers or anything like that)

Hope this makes sense and helps other people.

Last edited:

Vote:
A few months ago i noticed a pressure in my front teeth top and bottom, it felt like my teeth were being forced together/back and when i pressed my tongue against them or flossed it would alleviate the pressure for a moment but it would return. This feeling went away after a few days so i thought nothing of it and put it down to a sinus problem as i was having sinus trouble at the time and had read online that it could cause pressure in the teeth and so i didn't mention it at my last dental appointment. This same feeling has now come back again and its driving me mad. The teeth feel under constant pressure and i have to press my tongue against them for relief if i do not do this then the teeth start to feel numb. I would not consider this to be a pain as such however one of the top front teeth has begun to hurt when biting down.

I have recently come back to the dentist after not going for around 7-8 years due to anxiety. The dentist did not pick up on anything in my front teeth during my last exam (not 100% sure if they were seen in an x-ray i know i had an x-ray taken either side but i'm not sure whether that would pick up the front teeth or not) i do need a couple of fillings in the back teeth and a 40 minute session with the hygienist. Im going to try a schedule in another appointment asap even though i'm due back in 1 week to start with the fillings i need.

Another strange symptom is that the teeth usually feel fine after i wake up and the problem does not come up until later in the day. Which makes me wonder if i'm worrying about it to much and subconsciously pushing my tongue against my teeth and then feeling pressure after i have agitated them and they feel like they're pushing back.

Any help as to what this could be would be great as would like a heads up before going to the dentist due to my anxiety about the whole thing. The dentist did not say things were too bad considering how long i went without going and i'm really trying to make positive changes to my oral health. Im brushing minimum twice a day, flossing more and have cut out fizzy drinks and foods with lots of sugar out of my diet. Just hoping its not too late as i can afford implants nor do i think i could cope with the procedure and don't want to have to wear a denture as i'm not very old.

Thanks
Hi have you resolved your issue with pressure? I have the exact same symptoms. It is going on a year now. My teeth feel much better in the mornings. I cannot keep my tongue from rubbing my teeth

Vote:
Hi have you resolved your issue with pressure? I have the exact same symptoms. It is going on a year now. My teeth feel much better in the mornings. I cannot keep my tongue from rubbing my teeth
It has somewhat subsided I still get it occasionally but not every day as bad as I used to. Only thing I have done differently is have a clean and polish by the dentist and cut down on a lot of sugar...not sure if either of those has been the reason for improvement or it’s just gone on it’s own accord....

Vote:
It has somewhat subsided I still get it occasionally but not every day as bad as I used to. Only thing I have done differently is have a clean and polish by the dentist and cut down on a lot of sugar...not sure if either of those has been the reason for improvement or it’s just gone on it’s own accord....
Thanks for the update. This is driving me n
Thanks for the quick response. This is driving me crazy

Vote:
Hi, so glad i found this forum. Thought i was going mad! My front teeth have a tight feeling and some pressure. Went to the doctor as i thought it may be a sinus issue although i have no pain. He looked baffled and said go to the dentist. So, i went to the dentist, had an x ray and he said my teeth are absolutely fine and he looked baffled too! My gums seem ok, no bleeding or soreness but this feeling is getting me down now. Its been like this for around 6 weeks. I havent had a cold so cant put it down to that. I floss and use interdental brushes but the feeling is still there. Any advice would be great

Vote:
Hi, so glad i found this forum. Thought i was going mad! My front teeth have a tight feeling and some pressure. Went to the doctor as i thought it may be a sinus issue although i have no pain. He looked baffled and said go to the dentist. So, i went to the dentist, had an x ray and he said my teeth are absolutely fine and he looked baffled too! My gums seem ok, no bleeding or soreness but this feeling is getting me down now. Its been like this for around 6 weeks. I havent had a cold so cant put it down to that. I floss and use interdental brushes but the feeling is still there. Any advice would be great
Do you find yourself pushing your teeth with your tongue? My teeth seek the best first thing in the morning. I am going to an orthodontist on Monday. I will let you know what he says

Vote:
I am having this issues since May this year. I also have clenching problem. Molar are worn such that I am having overbite problem, and lower teeth was pressuring the top front teeth.

Since the dentist ground a bit, pain level went down. However, the pressure feeling never go away and I can't eat with my front teeth.

I have a feeling the nerve under the tooth are screwed up because of clenching...

Normally what will be the recovery time?

Vote:
Thanks a lot for commenting Busybee. I appreciate it very much. I probably did clench some before all this started like if I was straining on something. But I am pretty sure since all this started I don't put my teeth together hard because it kill me when they come together with any pressure at all. Idid have a sleep study done to see if I am grinding my teeth and I don't according to the study which I didn't think I did anyway.
I am like you and I do not want to have anything done that I can't undo. I have already had some of my teeth ground on but I needed relief. It is just puzzling that ALL my teeth are like this, my bite and speech has seemed to change. Most of the dentist say it isn't a tooth structure problem so there has to be something causing my teeth to hurt like this. I just don't' know who to go to.
What's odd is when I went to the dentist last year for the cleaning I also had a fluoride treatment done. First one I ever had and I shouldn't have had that one. ( I am 71) I just think it is a heck of a coincidence that I started having all this trouble after that. All the dentist say it doesn't have anything to do with it. I have got to keep trying to find out what's wrong. I think I have already had a nervous breakdown over it. It's terrible.

I am having the exact same problem! my speech changed as I feel my front teeth were out of position.

Especially when I sound the "s" or the "th" sound.....

Dentist believe it's the periodontal ligament issues, but it's been like this for 4 weeks so I decided to schedule an apopintment with an endodontist and see what's going on with the nerve or the pulp?

Vote:
Do you find yourself pushing your teeth with your tongue? My teeth seek the best first thing in the morning. I am going to an orthodontist on Monday. I will let you know what he says
Yes I do that. Maybe stress?
I have a nasal spray from the doctor. She seems to think it could be a sinus issue and it has helped a lot. I have to keep up with regular sprays throughout the day otherwise the weird feeling comes back. I’m wondering if it’s chronic sinusitis.

Vote:

Thanks
I have had this same issue for over a year now. It started because I clenched my teeth. I find myself constantly pushing my top teeth with my tongue and it is very uncomfortable to bite with my front teeth. I believe this is a nerve issue and I am very surprised dentist have no clue about this issue. I no longer clinch my teeth. That took weeks of constant effort to change the habit.

Vote:
Solutions
I have since been diagnosed with a form of trigeminal nerulgia. Neurologist says that is why my teeth are hurting me. Numbness and stinging in the front top four mainly and tightness in the bottom front 6 or 7 teeth. Says that is why my bite feels like it is changing due to different teeth hurting. The dentist says there is absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth so I am going with this diagnosis. He has me on a anticouvultant medicine and scheduled for a MRI of my head and spine. I feel better that at least I know what's wrong. I went a year and a half with no answers. I think I actually feel a little better.

Vote:
I have since been diagnosed with a form of trigeminal nerulgia. Neurologist says that is why my teeth are hurting me. Numbness and stinging in the front top four mainly and tightness in the bottom front 6 or 7 teeth. Says that is why my bite feels like it is changing due to different teeth hurting. The dentist says there is absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth so I am going with this diagnosis. He has me on a anticouvultant medicine and scheduled for a MRI of my head and spine. I feel better that at least I know what's wrong. I went a year and a half with no answers. I think I actually feel a little better.

My dentist diagnoised that I overbited due to clenching (Yes , this is a malocculsion problem). He ground a little bottom front teeth down and they contact alot less that relief alot of pain.

I also learnt how to relax my jaw all the time as they were pretty tense up when I stress at work. Discomfort went down, but still didn't go away at all. I also found it feels alot better in the morning. However, the pain comes back during the half of the day... It never go away.

Now I change my diet to include yogurt, grape tomatoes and centrum, and I hope everyone will relief "some" internal pain.

Vote:

Ask a Question