Post root canal pain.

I had a blow to the mouth before Christmas and about a week later experienced a throbbing pain in my lower front teeth about a week later.

After x ray my dentist said that I had a large legion under my bottom 3 teeth and would need antibiotics and two root canals ( the middle of the 3 teeth was already root filled years ago)

After a week of antibiotics the first attempt at drilling failed as the anaesthetic failed to numb the tooth. After several weeks of dental visits and a further course of antibiotics, my dentist was happy to permanently fill the teeth, although she dd state that the legion would never fully go without extraction. She did say that an apicectomy may help if the teeth became a problem again, but wouldn't be guaranteed.

It has now been three weeks since my RCT and something does not feel quite right, while I am not in pain there is a constant awareness of the bottom teeth and a sensitivity for want of a better word. There s also a slight sensitivity to heat, (not cold though). Again, this is not painful, more annoying than anything.

Although hard to pinpoint, It seems to be the tooth that was already root filled that is the issue.

I am worried about the possibility of reoccurring infection but also don't want extraction if at all possible as I would be facing dentures or a large bill for three front implants.

I don't have 100% confidence in my dentist and am considering paying for a private consultation to get a second opinion.

Is it normal to feel this type of sensation post RCT and is a legion always an infection? If so is it normal practice to fill the root canal if a legion is still there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ask a Question