Treatment of Post Root Canals

Three years ago my dentist performed a root canal on a bicuspid and sent me to an Endodontist for an adjacent tooth (more complex). Recently during a Endodontics consult I was told (and shown) that both teeth were still infected; however, the nerves were dead so I didn't feel any pain. The dentist missed one canal totally and the Endodontist didn't clean out one canal completely. Neither doc is interested in fixing his mistakes but rather have the nerve to tell me that eventually ALL root canals become re-infected and I'll have to pay for secondary root canal procedures. Is this shoddy medicine OR do most root canals eventually have subsequent 'issues'?

Solutions
That's not true about them being reinfected. Depends on the quality of work and the state of the tooth to start with. If they missed a canal and didn't clean another out properly that will be why it's reinfected. Plus it should be protected with a crown after with the margins well sealed. You should not have to pay if they missed one canal and didn't do the other properly but do you really trust the same endo / dentist if they did it so badly? Get a second opinion from someone really good get it fixed by someone really good then get your money back from the other practice.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Did you find this unfinished treatment by going to a different endodontist, or was it the original?
Do you have Xrays to show us, pls?

Vote:
Did you find this unfinished treatment by going to a different endodontist, or was it the original?
Do you have Xrays to show us, pls?
Same endodontist. My dentist asked for a followup consultant and the original endodontist met with me and did a big fancy full mouth x-ray. Keep in mind that I had zero pain so I think they were looking for new infections??? i didn't get a copy of the x-ray but the endodontist did show them to me and discussed them in detail. He told me that when you reach your early 70's with a lot of crowns you're bound to have some low grade infections at the root of your teeth. He said that 'root of the tooth' infections frequently returned to 'dead' teeth and they will watch them and treat anything that gets dangerous??? Keep in mind that this guy was extremely arrogant and said that he makes his 'best' effort on root canals and anything that happens (damaged crown, re-infection) is my problem. I discussed the whole thing with my dentist who said this endodonist was great and he'd have him treat his family members. He said I could have additional root canals or have the teeth pulled with $10 thousand dollars worth of implants. All at my expense with no refunds for incomplete prior treatments. Neither tooth hurts at all and functions very well so I'm reluctant to spend more money on them BUT I am worried about the infections spreading toxins. CONFUSED???

Vote:
Solutions
Firstly you are entitled to a copy of your x rays. Ask the practice to email them and you can then upload here.

Secondly if you're not in pain get a second opinion. I've had three experiences where I've been told I need root treatment or re-treatment and on second opinion I have been told there is misinterpretation of x rays or misdiagnosis. So I always get a second opinion now.

You should see an endodontist that you feel comfortable with.

Vote:

Ask a Question