Post root canal first stage.

My question is on symptoms arising from a root canal first stage on a top molar.

I needed to get a root canal done on my top molar due to irreversible pulpitis about 2 weeks ago.This was giving me serious discomfort with biting pressures, extreme pain to hot cold etc.. once the first stage of the root canal (remove pulp and nerves) was complete, a temp filling was placed and all feeling/pain/discomfort was gone.. great... and i am to return to get them filled next week.
A few days ago i got a sharp pain while chewing on something followed by a twinge/pain everytime i tried to eat something and i felt like my tounge could go in a hole that was in my tooth.. turns out i managed to crack/chip the temp filling a little which was giving the pain. The tooth was re cleaned, canals checked and a temp filling was redone to last me a week until my stage 2 appointment, however now i feel a light discomfort to hot/cold drinks mostly.. how can this be if i have no nerves in my tooth to identify that? What could the issue be so as i can discuss every possibility at my next app.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, the symptoms of hot/cold suggest there may be another tooth with problems. Maybe you've developed a small crack. Your dentist will prob do sensitivity tests, look at adjacent heavily filled teeth, etc .

Vote:
Thanks for the reply.. the dentist did do various checks that day.. tapping the top row with a metal instrument, prodding, etc of the tooth in question as his worry was the tooth had split. He did say it was still a good tooth and that didnt seem to be the issue. I dont think a small crack is the issue because once i hurt my tooth.. it was 48 hours before i got the tooth checked and in that time i didnt experience hot/cold sensitivity.. its only been there after he replaced the chipped temp filling... like its just magically appeared. I Dont understand how it just all of a sudden appears.

Vote:
My question is on symptoms arising from a root canal first stage on a top molar.

I needed to get a root canal done on my top molar due to irreversible pulpitis about 2 weeks ago.This was giving me serious discomfort with biting pressures, extreme pain to hot cold etc.. once the first stage of the root canal (remove pulp and nerves) was complete, a temp filling was placed and all feeling/pain/discomfort was gone.. great... and i am to return to get them filled next week.
A few days ago i got a sharp pain while chewing on something followed by a twinge/pain everytime i tried to eat something and i felt like my tounge could go in a hole that was in my tooth.. turns out i managed to crack/chip the temp filling a little which was giving the pain. The tooth was re cleaned, canals checked and a temp filling was redone to last me a week until my stage 2 appointment, however now i feel a light discomfort to hot/cold drinks mostly.. how can this be if i have no nerves in my tooth to identify that? What could the issue be so as i can discuss every possibility at my next app.
Can you show me post RCT x-rays?
Tooth is non vital and pulp tissue is removed, fine. But adjacent area and jaw line is active. Physical pressure or and fracture may cause problem.
Perhaps Root Apex perforation is done during canal preparation. So I need to check.
Canal preparation and filling (inert material) is important part of RCT.
* If the same tooth is causing problem then flap surgery and Apicoectomy (reverse RCT) will be done.

Vote:
Just curious, should the root canal filling material be able to be seen through the apex of the root? I have an extracted tooth where that's the case and I'm curious if that would be considered an over fill.

Vote:

Ask a Question