Porcelain Crowns

Hi,

Several years ago I chipped my 2 front teeth playing basketball. A few months ago I had composite bonding done to restore the look of the teeth. At first, I was happy with the look of the bonding, but as time has passed, visible lines where the resin meets the teeth have formed. In certain light, they almost look like they are peeling. My dentist was able to polish them up and while they do look better, I'm still not totally satisfied with the look of the teeth. A line is still visible at times, which I guess is unavoidable with bonding. I was told that porcelain crowns would be the best long term solution for me, but I'm hesitant to go that route because of the grinding down of the teeth that is involved. I have a few questions that I'd be grateful if anyone could answer:

1) What risks are there in having crowns put on? Will what remains of my natural tooth be susceptible to decay underneath the crown?

2) How strong are crowns? Can I eat anything without worrying about them falling off or do I have to be cautious like I am with my bonding?

3) Will there be any visible lines showing anywhere on the tooth?

4) What are my other options aside from crowns in terms of long term solutions?

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Crowns are the best long term option. If the procedure is professionally done then the risk of decay underneath the crown will be very minimal to none. My front two upper teeth are crowns, I've had them a few years now and I've eaten normally in this time with no problems.

Wether there are visible lines showing depends on the current and future condition of your gums, not looked after properly and a dark line may begin to show at the top of the tooth at the gum line.

Vote:
1: possible risks are:
the crown could get chipped or broken
tooth decay under the crown if it does not fit well
pain and senstivity
possibly the crown may fall off if it is not cemented properly or does not fit well
reaction to local anesthesia. although its a rare condition but you should be aware oof that.
2: crowns are perfect enough to chew food. However care must be taken with very hard food. outer surface is made uo of porcelein which can fracture during excessive bitinng forces , no matter how perfectly the crown is fabricated.
but avoid sticky foods like chewing gums, as they pull the crown.
3: the dark line isactually the metal of the crown shoowing through.
4: implants are very effective but expensive.
or you can have dentures but they are not as effective as crowns.

Vote:

Ask a Question