Pain Following Perment Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had constant pain for 3 weeks since Temperary Crowns were placed in preperation for Bridge. I've had the Perment Bridge now for 1 week, and still have constant pain. Is this normal? How long should the pain last? It seems like there is a great deal of sensitivity around the crowns. The pain is worse when I eat or drink, and for some time after.

It should continue to get better. I just had a new bridge installed and had one for 17 years before this one and it was painful for a while. You have to understand that there was a lot of prep work to your teeth which aggravates your gums. Use some sensitive toothpaste and if it's still hurting after a month see your dentist again.

Vote:
I have had constant pain for 3 weeks since Temperary Crowns were placed in preperation for Bridge. I've had the Perment Bridge now for 1 week, and still have constant pain. Is this normal? How long should the pain last? It seems like there is a great deal of sensitivity around the crowns. The pain is worse when I eat or drink, and for some time after.

First off, why in the name of god did you get a permanent bridge? They are most certainly NOT permanent and your options after it fails (and fail it will) are going to be dentures. NEVER EVER EVER destroy good teeth to fill spaces. I learned my lesson the hard way and sadly you will to. Good luck.

Last edited:

Vote:
It should continue to get better. I just had a new bridge installed and had one for 17 years before this one and it was painful for a while. You have to understand that there was a lot of prep work to your teeth which aggravates your gums. Use some sensitive toothpaste and if it's still hurting after a month see your dentist again.

You're on your second bridge after having one for 17 years? yeesh. Have you picked out which partial you're going to go with yet? Trust me you'll be needing one mostly likely sooner rather than later.

Vote:
First off, why in the name of god did you get a permanent bridge? They are most certainly NOT permanent and your options after it fails (and fail it will) are going to be dentures. NEVER EVER EVER destroy good teeth to fill spaces. I learned my lesson the hard way and sadly you will to. Good luck.

Trying to freak someone out because of your own bad experiences isn't helpful. All situations are different. You aren't an expert and seem to have an axe to grind maybe with a dentist or are vengeful in general because of your bad experiences.

You're on your second bridge after having one for 17 years? yeesh. Have you picked out which partial you're going to go with yet? Trust me you'll be needing one mostly likely sooner rather than later.

First off, no dentist that I've ever spoken to has said a bridge will last a lifetime. If this bridge fails after 17 more years, which is a good average, I'll get another one until I have too many teeth to bridge. Then I'll probably get a bone graft and implants. I'll avoid partial dentures at all costs. Blanket statements like yours make it seem like you are unhappy and pushing your thoughts on others. There is no guarantee anyone will have the same problems as you.

Vote:
Trying to freak someone out because of your own bad experiences isn't helpful. All situations are different. You aren't an expert and seem to have an axe to grind maybe with a dentist or are vengeful in general because of your bad experiences.

First off, no dentist that I've ever spoken to has said a bridge will last a lifetime. If this bridge fails after 17 more years, which is a good average, I'll get another one until I have too many teeth to bridge. Then I'll probably get a bone graft and implants. I'll avoid partial dentures at all costs. Blanket statements like yours make it seem like you are unhappy and pushing your thoughts on others. There is no guarantee anyone will have the same problems as you.

You're damn right I have an axe to grind and people should know the truth about bridges. If the truth "freaks" somebody out then so be it. If having multiple dental surgeries, two bridges, two failed implants, 4 years of braces and now a partial denture doesn't make me an expert it most certainly makes a pretty damn good authority on the subject. All situations are different? Umm...everyone I have ever known who has had a bridge had problems with it and what I stated is fact: bridges rarely last more than 10 years and the options you have after that are little more than dentures. Are you disputing that?

You are delusional my friend. Ive had a bone graft and implants in the top front already and they both failed. Are you seriously naive enough to think back to back 17 year bridges is a good average?? Boy are you ever in for a rude awakening. The average lifespan of one bridge is 10 years, not 17 and the second bridge never lasts anywhere near as long as the first. Do you honestly believe your second bridge is going to last another 17 years and that you'll actually be getting a third one someday?? You are living in a fantasy world. I had a bridge for 20 years and it was in tatters at the end. My second bridge lasted 4 years before it failed which according to multiple dentists I have spoken to is quite common. However nearly every dentist in America is trying to sell you one of those pieces of garbage so I'm sure it would be difficult to get one of them to admit to that. The truth is you will be lucky if you get 7 years out of the second bridge let alone 17 because your roots are not meant to handle that kind of stress. I assume this is in the front of your mouth which means even further complications. There are no guarantees about anything, but if you plan on 30 years of fixed bridges, bone grafts and implants you are going to develop multiple root and jaw conditions. Nevermind the astronomical costs and very high likelihood of a wide variety of problems. A partial denture is in your future whether you choose to accept it or not. DESTROYING YOUR NATURAL TEETH IS NEVER A GOOD OPTION!

Last edited:

Vote:
You are delusional my friend. Guess what Einstein? Ive had a bone graft and implants already and they both failed. Are you seriously naive enough to think back to back 17 year bridges is a good average?? Boy are you ever in for a rude awakening. The average lifespan of one bridge is 10 years, not 17. I had a bridge for 20 years and it was in tatters at the end. My second bridge lasted 4 years before it failed. You will be lucky if you get 7 years out of the second bridge because your roots will not be able to handle the stress of another bridge, let alone a bone graft and implants. I assume this is in the front of your mouth which means even further complications. There are no guarantees about anything, but I can promise you after 25 years of fixed bridges, bone grafts and implants you are going to develop multiple root conditions. Nevermind the astronomical costs and very high likelihood of problems. A partial denture is in your future whether you choose to accept it or not. DESTROYING YOUR NATURAL TEETH IS NEVER A GOOD OPTION!

I meant to say that 17 years was good (actually great) on average as in 'based on the average' or above average. I didn't say or mean to imply it was the norm.

If the money is a big deal for you (I know it was for me) then why don't you have more insurance? Are you going to be happy paying for relatively costly dentures as they continue to chip, wear, and break?

Again with the ad hominem attacks. Calling me Einstein and insulting my intelligence only shows how emotional you are and desperate to prove a point.

Vote:
I meant to say that 17 years was good (actually great) on average as in 'based on the average' or above average. I didn't say or mean to imply it was the norm.

If the money is a big deal for you (I know it was for me) then why don't you have more insurance? Are you going to be happy paying for relatively costly dentures as they continue to chip, wear, and break?

Again with the ad hominem attacks. Calling me Einstein and insulting my intelligence only shows how emotional you are and desperate to prove a point.

17 years is more like a freak of nature in regards to bridges and if they do last that long one can only imagine the condition it will be in after that time. It is not the average nor anything even close to it. And getting another 17 years out of a second bridge would be a small miracle.

Ummm, money is a big deal for myself and about 90% of the people who get these awful things put in their mouths. Dentures are FAR cheaper by any measure and are covered by insurance. Bridges don't chip, wear and break? Fixing a partial denture is a hell of alot less of an ordeal than fixing a damaged bridge.

Desperate to prove a point? ha ha. Pointing out simple facts doesn't require alot of desperation but whatever.

Vote:
17 years is more like a freak of nature in regards to bridges and if they do last that long one can only imagine the condition it will be in after that time. It is not the average nor anything even close to it. And getting another 17 years out of a second bridge would be a small miracle.

Ummm, money is a big deal for myself and about 90% of the people who get these awful things put in their mouths. Dentures are FAR cheaper by any measure and are covered by insurance. Bridges don't chip, wear and break? Fixing a partial denture is a hell of alot less of an ordeal than fixing a damaged bridge.

Desperate to prove a point? ha ha. Pointing out simple facts doesn't require alot of desperation but whatever.

My insurance covers half of all prosthetic dentistry, including partials and bridges. My partials being not much cheaper than the bridges.
Oh, and I like how you removed the Einstein comment :)

Vote:
My insurance covers half of all prosthetic dentistry, including partials and bridges. My partials being not much cheaper than the bridges.
Oh, and I like how you removed the Einstein comment :)

You have better insurance than the vast majority of anyone I know. Even with insurance, a six crown bridge you're looking at at least $10,000 USD which is a total ripoff for a temporary fix that will leave you with bigger problems later on. The bottom line is with a bridge you're making a deal with the devil. You are trading dental problems today for an even greater set of dental problems tomorrow. Everybody wants a quick fix to their problems, but the reality is if you have spaces there is no easy fix and a bridge will only compound your problems. Bridges for teenagers are an absolutely horrid idea as they will most likely be staring at the possibility of dentures when they're in their early 30's. Contrary to what you said, implants are not an option. There is no way you are going to stack 3-6 implants next to each other without problems.
Dentists like doing bridges because they can make lots of MONEY from them.

Vote:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question