Pain but dentist cant find cause

I have visited the dentist , had X rays and have been told there is no infection and no holes.
Dentist said it is most likely gum disease but it doesnt feel like that its seems more nerve related
Pain is awful I cant eat or drink and have had to take ibuprofen with codeine constantly for around 10 days
If I drink hot tea the heat will cause agony
Does anyone have any other advice on options or causes ?
Should I just visit another dentist and get a second opinion ?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Pain caused from hot, cold, or sweet means there is a hole or fracture in a tooth. It does not mean an infection, so don't get antibiotics. If your dentist can't find cause of pain, then get second opinion. Take the X-rays with you. Also get an OPG X-ray if possible.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
As Dr MattKW mentioned, with no infection (swelling) don't get antibiotics. If the dentist or various dentists can't find the hole, defect, or source of pain, a common possibility is that you are grinding and or clenching. Sometimes it can present significant pain.

Vote:
Solutions
I was about to post that it could be your bite. But honestdoc just said the same. Grinding and high bite can cause sensitivity at gum level. This can feel very intense. It can feel like the tooth is dying but can disappear once the bite is corrected. It's really complex because nine times out of ten dentists don't know the best approach. If they go in and start drilling they could end up with unnecessary work and no relief of symptoms. I'd advise you to get a soft night guard made. If you feel relief from pain when you wake in the morning then it may be bite related. Alternatively you might have a crack but cracks tend to have specific symptoms which can be tested by a dentist. But sensitivity caused by bite problems is very difficult to diagnose. In fact some dentists will tell you it's all in your mind! Be prepared for that.

Vote:

Ask a Question