Unexplainable Pain Has Dentist Stumped!

I sure hope someone has some advice. A couple of weeks ago an area in my mouth (bottom in the very back near wisdom tooth) has hurt really bad. Nothing helps. I have taken a bottle of antibiotics. I gargle with salt water four times a day. My dentist has poked around and taken an x-ray but sees nothing. He shoots it with cold air and water. That doesn't make it hurt. Eating doesn't make it hurt. The pain just starts gradually out of nowhere and then before I know it the whole side of my head hurts. It's centered around that back tooth area. It then slowly (about 45 minutes right now) goes away. It is awful. I have taken great care of my teeth and I have never really had a toothache before but oh do I feel for people that have them regularly. Any advice? Please help!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There may be a few of possibilities. The most likely is you may be clenching and/or grinding your teeth. Have you been experiencing unresolved stress, deadlines, change of routine, etc.? You may not be aware that you are doing it. According to experts, your teeth only touch 20 minutes a day including all meals and function. The rest of the time, your teeth are ~1 cm or 1/4 inch apart. When you clench, you stress your teeth and jaws and may experience unexplained pain. If you think this may be a source of pain, try Over-the-Counter bite guard and if pain is improved, try custom bite guard fabricated by your dentist.

Did you ever have trauma to your jaws such as sports injury, physical injury, braces (orthodontics) in the past? Did your dentist not think the wisdom teeth may be a source for pain? You may have TMJ pain and may benefit from evaluation.

It is more rare but if the pain is coming from Lower Left side and you have heart conditions, you may be experiencing referred chest pains.

Even more rare is the possibility of neurologic conditions.

Vote:

Ask a Question