Dentist won't step up pain medications after series of extractions.

A little background. I was recently diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, and will be going through chemotherapy. However, before I can start treatments, I have to have a lot of teeth removed (20 of them, in fact). The entire top, plus 4 on the bottom (the wisdom tooth + the molar in front of them). I'm bipolar, and went 20+ year with depression, and my dental hygiene suffered. So far, I've had the bottoms done, and the top 8 on the right taken out. And every procedure is more painful than the last. And all this has been done over the course of 3 weeks.

However, my dentist hasn't proscribed anything more than Tylenol 3's, which were fine for the first two extraction the bottom, but after the 8 on the top were just pulled on Tuesday, the pain was so bad I ended up going to the ER for stronger medication, where they gave me 5mg percocet, which has helped greatly.

I have one last series of extractions to be done tomorrow (Friday) and I know it's going to leave me in even more pain than the last. Is there anything I can say to convince my dental surgeon to give me something stronger than just Tylenol 3's? Because I really don't want to have to go to the ER a second time in a week for basically the same problem. That would probably throw up some red flags on their part. I'm not a 'junkie'. I actually hate taking opioids, but I hate the pain in my mouth even more.

Ask a Question