Orthodontics in case of missing one canine tooth.

Hey everyone,

When I was 14 years old, I had two impacted canines in my upper jaw. One of them was extracted by a doctor, and now I'm left with just one impacted canine. Recently, I found out that this is considered a crime. There is also a decayed tooth in the same row as the impacted canine. One doctor said that the decayed tooth should be taken out and braces wouldn't work because of the missing canine. Another doctor said that the decayed tooth should be removed and that braces would still work. I'm not sure what to do and how to achieve a good smile. I've struggled with insecurity about my smile for a long time.

here is some pictures that shows my teeth

1.png

here an image with annotation
2.png

3.png

as you can see decayed tooth as long as the impacted canine

4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

in the last picture you can that my lower jaw is having a lot of issues but the canine still there

last thing is that all 4 wisdom teeth (last tooth in every row) are impacted

I hope you can guided me to the right way to fix my smile and thanks a lot

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Orthodontics is definitely the route to follow here. I would firstly seek a consultation with an orthodontist. He/she would then advise you on which teeth need to be extracted, i.e wisdoms and decayed pre-molar, as part of their comprehensive treatment plan. The gap where the premolar was, could be closed orthodontically. The ectopic canine can also be brought into position with the help of a chain, if the orthodontist decides to utilize this tooth.

Mostly likely you are looking at fixed upper and lower braces. The correct starting point would be a consult with an orthodontist however.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You have more serious issues than the canine:
  1. You appear to be at least 18yo. I strongly doubt that the impacted canine can be pulled down at this late age. To discuss with your orthodontist. It may also have to be extracted.
  2. Yes, the upper right 2nd premolar is unlikely to be salvageable.
  3. You appear to have many areas of decay apart that I can see on this grainy OPG (pink arrows). More detailed intra-oral Xrays are needed to be sure.
  4. There appears to be deep decay happening on your lower left 2nd molar from the adjacent wisdom tooth (thick pink arrow). This 2nd molar may also be unsalvageable.
  5. Your wisdom teeth appear to have some decay: upper left, lower left. I would extract all 4 wisdoms (yellow crosses).
  6. Then... you go to an orthodontist to see what might be possible.

Vote:
You have more serious issues than the canine:
  1. You appear to be at least 18yo. I strongly doubt that the impacted canine can be pulled down at this late age. To discuss with your orthodontist. It may also have to be extracted.
  2. Yes, the upper right 2nd premolar is unlikely to be salvageable.
  3. You appear to have many areas of decay apart that I can see on this grainy OPG (pink arrows). More detailed intra-oral Xrays are needed to be sure.
  4. There appears to be deep decay happening on your lower left 2nd molar from the adjacent wisdom tooth (thick pink arrow). This 2nd molar may also be unsalvageable.
  5. Your wisdom teeth appear to have some decay: upper left, lower left. I would extract all 4 wisdoms (yellow crosses).
  6. Then... you go to an orthodontist to see what might be possible.
could you annotate the decay you mentioned

Vote:

Ask a Question