Orthodontics advice

Ken

I would like someone can provide advice for me.
I have front teeth diastema (around 1mm) on my upper teeth. I would like to use invisalign (no other invisible aligner(like smart direct club) in my country, and I don't want to brace use traditional method). However, I have seen a few of the dentist that has different result and summarised as following:
- 14 weeks can complete without IPR. I have not asked the detail. I will re-consult again later.
- 1 year with IPR (due to overbite issue, but I don't think there is a problem).
- They don't recommend to brace the teeth (They recommend using bonding, but I don't prefer).

I don't know what should I do now.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Even if you close the gap with some sort of orthodontic treatment like Invisalign, you will either have to wear regular retainers, or wire and bond the teeth behind to stop them drifting again.

Vote:

Ken

Even if you close the gap with some sort of orthodontic treatment like Invisalign, you will either have to wear regular retainers, or wire and bond the teeth behind to stop them drifting again.
I know. But I would like to know is it possible to complete within 3 months on my case..

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I know. But I would like to know is it possible to complete within 3 months on my case..
Probably, if that's all the orthodontist does. But you'll have to get going now if you have some sort of event in October.

Vote:

Ken

Probably, if that's all the orthodontist does. But you'll have to get going now if you have some sort of event in October.
Actually no, but I just want to brace the front teeth...And I am afraid that the teeth will be cracked or broken during the treatment...I would like someone can advice for the treatment.

Last edited:

Vote:
If when you close your mouth, your front teeth touch the lower front teeth and you close the space up above and don't do anything to the bottom, your front teeth will hit your bottom teeth early and they will be sour, this may push your jaw backwards and press your condyle against the retrodiscal tissue. You can create a TMJ problem from pushing your jaw backwards.

If you close space up above and don't reduce the size of the lower anterior, you can put pressure on lower jaw to go back. This can cause you some TMJ problems.

I have talked about this quiet a bit, watch and get some information about it:
[link removed by admin]

Dr. Bill Wyatt

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ken

If when you close your mouth, your front teeth touch the lower front teeth and you close the space up above and don't do anything to the bottom, your front teeth will hit your bottom teeth early and they will be sour, this may push your jaw backwards and press your condyle against the retrodiscal tissue. You can create a TMJ problem from pushing your jaw backwards.

If you close space up above and don't reduce the size of the lower anterior, you can put pressure on lower jaw to go back. This can cause you some TMJ problems.

I have talked about this quiet a bit, watch and get some information about it:
[link removed by admin]

Dr. Bill Wyatt
How about close the teeth space for the front six teeth?
Do you mean that it is required to do the IPR?

Vote:
Hi there. From the looks of the picture that you posted, I believe you're a perfect candidate for Invisalign or other clear aligner treatment. Keep in mind, I'm assuming that you don't have any issues with your back teeth and bite, as clear aligners don't work well for moving posterior teeth. Assuming this is the case, you're a perfect candidate for clear aligner therapy. Closing gaps is really where clear aligners are most effective. With regards to IPR, that's typically reserved for cases where your teeth are too large for your jaw. Judging from your picture, this does not appear to be the case. Therefore I would say IPR is unnecessary in your case. As a final reminder, be sure to continue wearing your retainers at nights following the completion of your clear aligner therapy, especially if you're under 40. Otherwise, you risk having your diastema return within a few years! I estimate your treatment time to be less than 6 months if the gap is really only 1-2 millimeters (each aligner moves your teeth about 0.2-0.3 mm every 2 weeks so you can estimate your treatment time based on that). Hope this helps and good luck with your teeth straightening journey!

Vote:

Ask a Question