Ongoing issues after root canal

Discussion in 'Endodontics' started by AJK64, May 19, 2018.

1. AJK64

AJK64

Long time no update. I have a bit of a decision to make and would love advice.

The tooth is still there. Nearest rearranged appointment with maxillo facial surgeon was for Jan 4th. I booked that back at the beginning of December.

Pain has continued but has not been as severe most of the time, mostly around a 1 or 2/10 just occasional flare ups to around 6/10 usually after brushing.

However since the 18th of December the pain has pretty much vanished. I am still 'aware' of the tooth if that makes sense, and I still cannot eat on that side of my mouth. But I can now brush the tooth with only minor pain.

I'm wondering if the tooth could actually be settling. I'm almost afraid to think/hope that though. I'm in 2 minds whether to delay having it extracted in the hope it could have actually healed now. But part of me is terrified of the pain coming back. I have less than a week to decide. Well realistically I will have to notify them Monday if I decide to delay.

It's never easy it seems. Do I take a chance or just get the thing ripped out once and for all?

AJK64, Dec 29, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. AJK64

Busybee

Hi AjK I was wondering how you were doing. Perhaps you have been more relaxed because you know that the appointment is coming up. Perhaps before that you were clenching and grinding a lot from stress and because of the appointment coming up that pressure is off. I think that given that you cannot reverse an extraction you should change the appointment to a few more weeks time. It is not worth taking a tooth out if it is finally settling.

I am really pleased that you are finally pain free. It could be that part of the pain was down to the area healing. Given what it's been through it's not surprising it took so long. But like I said you could have been clenching and tense or the tooth has moved slightly into a better position. I really hope it lasts and that you can put this behind you.

Busybee, Dec 29, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. AJK64

AJK64

Thanks again Busybee. I hope you had a good Christmas.

The only fear I have with cancelling is that the next available date wouldn't be until April, and I'm terrified of the pain coming back

AJK64, Dec 30, 2018
  4. AJK64

Busybee

Thanks Christmas was great. :)

If you wait until April what's the worst that could happen that has not already happened? Removing the tooth cannot be reversed so if you have some relief it's really worth waiting to see what happens rather than possibly causing more trauma from an extraction. It's been nearly two weeks and before that your pain was subsiding compared with before. It's a really good sign and the longer you have between pain the more it indicates that the tooth is settling. I'd be interested in what dentists here think of your relief from symptoms.

Busybee, Dec 30, 2018
    AJK64 likes this.
  5. AJK64

AJK64

I decided to go ahead with the extraction, so I turn up at the hospital as planned and...they wouldn't anaesthetise me because I had a respiratory infection. So I have a new appointment for February 15th.

The tooth is hurting a bit again now. Not sure it's because of my chest infection perhaps, but the pain is coming back again.

AJK64, Jan 6, 2019
  6. AJK64

Busybee

Well at least that gives you a few more weeks to see how things go. How have you been feeling since Sunday?

Busybee, Jan 8, 2019
  7. AJK64

AJK64

My tooth is very painful again. Hurts to touch it...every time I cough or sneeze the tooth is agony.

AJK64, Jan 8, 2019
  8. AJK64

Busybee

That's a shame, but it's better to have waited and been sure.

Busybee, Jan 8, 2019
    AJK64 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question