Ongoing Pain for 2+ months:

This all started in June of 2018...the last lower molar on my left side broke and I had the filling redone a couple of weeks later. All was fine until September when the same tooth/same piece broke again. So they refilled it again. Again I was fine until early October but then a dull aching pain started so I went back to the dentist. They thought it might be my gums so they gave me a periogard rinse or something and sent me home. I waited a few weeks but the pain persisted so the dentist/endodontist said that I should have a crown done. (I had a 3D scan done and everything looked fine to endodontist and periodontist. No cracks, no gum issues, no apparent infection etc.)

I went back to the dentist on October 31st and had the first part of a crown procedure done. I was in a lot of pain after that procedure so I ended up going back in a week later on November 7th and the endodontist said I should do a root canal. They squeezed me in that day. Since then, the pain has been even worse, and very constant. It's all in the left side of my jaw/tooth. I've been on amoxicillin & clindamycin since this all started in October, now done with both. On Monday 11/26, endo told me to see a periodontist to make sure nothing is wrong with the gums. I went there today 11/28, and she said she didn't see any signs of infection or gum disease. I'm going back to my regular dentist tomorrow to get the permanent crown put on my root canal'd 2nd molar. I'm attaching various x-rays taken over the last few months...and I'm wondering if anyone sees anything? After I left today I noticed a dark spot on one of the x-rays...I pointed to it with an arrow on the attached image. If anyone has any insight, that would be great...

My main question at this point is...why am I still in pain?

(The pain is in my left back molar, and underneath the left side of my jaw. At times it radiates to the back of my head, up to my temple, and down the front/side my neck. It's a dull aching that lasts pretty much all day, but doesn't wake me up at night. It's usually better in the morning and gets worse as the day goes on. I know I have clenching issues, could that have been the cause this whole time?)

Attachments

• teeth.JPG
    teeth.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 287
How is it going? I’m experiencing similar pain as you did/are due to a cavity which turned into a cracked tooth, which turned into a crown and now pain for over 2 months. What was your outcome?

Vote:
How is it going? I’m experiencing similar pain as you did/are due to a cavity which turned into a cracked tooth, which turned into a crown and now pain for over 2 months. What was your outcome?

Hi Sheena,

My pain finally started diminishing last week shortly after I created this post. The dentist/periodontist said that the ligaments that hold the teeth in place can get sore, just like any other ligament in your body. I think all of the work done on that one tooth really inflamed the area, and then my stress on top of it was making it worse. I can't really give you any advice as I'm not a dentist, but you may be having similar issues with the ligaments/muscles in your face if dentists are telling you that everything looks good. Try not to stress if that's the case!

The only other thing is I eventually had to have a root canal because all of the work this year on that one mola...Endo said the work traumatized and killed the pulp. So if the pain continues your dentist/Endo may want to go that route.

Good luck to you, these teeth issues have been an absolute nightmare for me! But it seems I'm finally in the clear and I'm sure you will be soon as well.

George

Vote:
You know what’s funny? I was so stressed I might also need a root canal and then all of a sudden one morning I woke up and the pain was gone! Teeth issues are no joke. It really effects your whole mood and overall health! Glad you’re doing better :)

Vote:

Ask a Question