Night guard

This is my second day wearing a custom made night guard that the dentist made for me and I am having problems with it. I noticed that when I bite down only with the right side of my molars there is a gap between the night guard and the upper molar encased(at the very end where the night guard ends). When I bite down with my left molars there is no gap. So the pressure of my bottom back molars to that of the upper back molars shifts the night guard BACK slightly. This is a problem because the gap puts pressure on my front teeth when biting down. When my jaw relaxes during sleep the very back molars rests on each other causing a slight pull of my front teeth and my front teeth feel sore in the morning.

Also the night guard seems to make me more aware of my clenching and grinding during sleep, is this normal? I specifically notice when I bite down with my back molars.

Is this normal or should I talk to my dentist?

Last edited:
It is not unusual for a custom night guard to need some adjustment. Many times a patient can't identify areas that are uncomfortable until they wear the guard overnight. You may need more than one adjustment. Adjusting them is pretty fast and easy to do. Definitely contact your dentist for an appointment.

Vote:

Ask a Question