Post Bone Graft Question - night guard vs Essix temporary?

I had one of my upper front teeth extracted yesterday. The surgeon said there was zero bone to work with for the implant post, so he performed a bone graft. My dentist asked me to bring my latest impressions from February (used for my night guard) so they could create the temporary (Essix?) appliance before the surgery. After the procedure was completed they put in the new appliance with the temporary tooth. Immediately it felt wrong. The rear bite alignment was not comfortable and I said so, but they just said thats the way it works????
So being a Friday I can't really reach out to anyone for some feedback and suggestions except here. When I asked them about the need to keep the temporary in, they said it's really only needed for when I am out in public and that I can remove it at home.
Problem for me is that with it removed I have a tendency to feel things with my tongue and the appliance, though uncomfortable, prevents me from doing anything stupid to the bone graft and surgical area.
I am afraid to use my normal night guard (which fits perfectly) because I think it may damage the gum near the sutures, and I am also afraid that when I remove it in the morning the suction might dislodge or otherwise damage the bone graft. If the post op rules say no straws then this would definitely be as strong or stronger than sucking on a straw.

If I keep the temporary on even eating soft foods is not pleasant because of the bite alignment.

I am otherwise following the rules and will be able to use salt water rinse later this evening and then the other prescribed rinse on Sunday.

In the meantime, should I avoid using the night guard? I had the temp in last night and my jaw was sore but otherwise ok.

Hope that I can get some feedback today, thanks for listening :)

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do what you can to minimize disturbing the bone graft site. When your dental team is available, have them adjust your appliance to fit more comfortably. Once the site is healing and the sutures have resorbed/removed, I believe you can wear your night guard.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You should be OK to wear your night guard because this should not impinge on the graft site. Any suction should also have no bearing - you can't suck out something unless you can get air under it.

Vote:

Ask a Question