New fillings

A few weeks ago I had all my old fillings refilled with composite fillings. I noticed when I brushed my teeth one of the teeth I previously had filled felt a bit sensitive. Now that same area has started to throb a bit.
I also noticed that my fillings are starting to yellow, and it's only been a few weeks... I'm not a smoker, and I don't drink soda or coffee that could make it stain.
I'm a bit concerned that my dentist somehow screwed up while filling the tooth that's throbbing.
And I'm also wondering how the fillings are yellowing so quickly.
Also, my teeth still feel a bit sensitive when eating anything a bit hard or crunchy. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Great Lakes Dental

Verified Dentist
Hi Elizabetta,

First, let me say that replacing your metal fillings with composite fillings was a wise choice.

In terms of your sensitivity. There are a couple reasons why this could be happening:

#1 - Removal of metal fillings will usually also require some removal of your natural tooth structure with it. This means that when your Dentist re-filled those areas with composite filling, he/she was placing filling material closer to your root. Therefore when chew on the affected tooth, your placing pressure on your root the didn't exist prior to the treatment. This is the normal cause of post sensitivity. Symptoms will normally subside within a few weeks.

#2 - Metal fillings are mechanically bonded to your tooth. Composite fillings are secured through chemical bonding using materials that may result in temporary irritation. Again, symptoms would normally subside within a few days/weeks.

I'm a bit of a loss regarding the new stains. Typically the shade of composite won't change much. It's possible that (since metal fillings are typically much larger then the areas filled with composite), that the area you've identified is actually your real, existing tooth structure and not the newly placed composite.

Hope this information helps.

Dr. Jennifer Thomm
Cosmetic Dentist
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
519-542-3427

Vote:

Ask a Question