Locked Jaw After Extraction

On Wednesday afternoon my tooth was extracted due to full infection/ decay . It was the shell of the tooth just left with a filling . It was the upper right second from the back. I experienced a heavy bleed and there does appear to be a clot.
I've had some bad pain and throbbing ( in teeth close to site too) which i understand is normal. My jaw is still locked and at the moment will only open maybe a few milemetres. I'm taking painkillers and resting it with heat packs.
Had a take time off workas sick due to my job working on the phones right now I would no use to anyone.
Im trying to stretch the mouth without causing the clot to go.
Is there any other recommendations to get my mouth open so I can talk again ( and eat something soft)
Many thanks

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually after the extraction, limited mouth opening can be normal, due to the injection going in through a muscle on the side of the cheek, which becomes bruised, or even due to the fact of it being a difficult extraction.
If the pain and limited opening persists, you will need to go back for a follow-up, to rule out any infection or dry socket.

Vote:

Ask a Question