Jaw has been locked for a week

I've had TMJ issues for about 6 years now and have been referred to hospital multiple times but don't seem to get anywhere. I already wear a night guard but over this year I have woken with a locked jaw every morning. It usually unlocks within minutes but last Wednesday it didn't unlock and still hasn't. I can only open my mouth about 2cm. If I press right in front of my ear and open as wide as I can then I can force it to pop back into place, but as soon as I close my mouth it locks again. I've tried heat, massage and just waiting, but nothing is happening. I think it was stress related because I had a csection the same day it locked.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Is your night guard custom made or store bought over-the-counter? Try to wear a custom (very expensive though) as much as possible during the day and night. When your TMJ is at rest, your teeth are about 1/4 inch apart. According to experts, your teeth only touch about 20 minutes a day including meals and function. When you exceed 20 min like grinding and clenching, you stress your TMJ to a point that can cause misery.

Vote:

Ask a Question