Is the enamel regrow possible?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The first 4 references are only talking about regrowing the 2nd layer of teeth, the dentine. The last reference is about rebuilding the more important layer of enamel, but even there they are only talking about enamel that has been slightly softened. Neither of these approaches is anywhere near building up the complexity of a tooth. I have read about some experiments where they grow enamel and dentine together from stem cells, but it tends to be blobs, and nothing that remotely resembles real teeth. They're light years away yet with growing teeth. They'll have better success with soft tissue organs like liver, pancreas, heart, etc. than teeth.

Vote:

Ken

The first 4 references are only talking about regrowing the 2nd layer of teeth, the dentine. The last reference is about rebuilding the more important layer of enamel, but even there they are only talking about enamel that has been slightly softened. Neither of these approaches is anywhere near building up the complexity of a tooth. I have read about some experiments where they grow enamel and dentine together from stem cells, but it tends to be blobs, and nothing that remotely resembles real teeth. They're light years away yet with growing teeth. They'll have better success with soft tissue organs like liver, pancreas, heart, etc. than teeth.
Then I would like to ask the 2nd layer of teeth can be regrowed?
I think most of people don't like to use veneer, filling, crowns...etc instead of regrowing teeth.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
No, you just simply regrow any useful part of teeth based on these studies, except in a laboratory.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
As Dr. MattKW mentioned, you cannot regrow any useful part of teeth. Researchers are developing teeth buds from the embryonic cells of the bladder in rats but have yet to advance to predictable and practical applications.

Restorative wise, there are a new generation of bioactive materials such as Activa that are very promising. Previous generation materials are biocompatible. Bioactive materials are such that it thrives in the body and cells such as cementum can regrow over it as oppose to biocompatible which means the body just tolerates it.

Vote:

Ask a Question