If my enamel is has gone, does that mean the rest have gone?

I have an eating disorder as a result of which I haven't been able to eat normally for a decade. Instead I have been eating sugar, soda etc endlessly. I also didn't brush as I often as I suffer with depression and lacked motivation to brush etc. As the enamel wore I could even feel the sugary food residues on my mouth but I didn't care.

Just returned from dentist for a crack in tooth. He said I the enamel has gone and I will need a crown.

Since my eating disorder was neglect was for so long, doesn't the mean all teeth are likely to have been affected. This being the case, isn't it the case that all teeth are close to cracking?

I am trying to change my diet, but if I do, would those tooth that haven't cracked by able to regenerate enamel or are they soon to destruct with a even moderate sugar intake?

Thanks

Solutions
Well done on getting over the depression sufficiently enough to start looking after your teeth again. That's a really positive step. Could you post a pic of your teeth for the dentists?

It's not predictable at all that all your teeth will crack as a result of the poor diet, but teeth can crack at any time of life whether or not you have looked after them.

Enamel doesn't regenerate, you can only change your lifestyle to stop any further damage. But just because one tooth cracked doesn't mean they all will. It's worth getting a night guard so you don't grind them when you are asleep. You just have to start protecting and caring for them. If you had major concerns the dentist would have told you. Anything you do to change your lifestyle will help you keep them for life. However bad you feel about life, it's worth caring for you teeth.

I'd say going forward your hygiene is what's important, particularly flossing. Using a sensitive toothpaste may help to seal tubules that are exposed. But soda drinks are the worst thing as is fruit juice - cut them out completely. Some foods are worse than others. Avoid cakes and biscuits & dried fruit & also potato chips. It's the type of food too, because it's the sort of foods that stick to teeth that will harm the enamel. Citrus fruits are not good either and I think even berries aren't great.

There's a fashion for raw food but I reckon it's not great for weakened teeth. IMO the best thing to do is not to snack between meals. Have a routine and just drink water in between.

If you do eat sugar try to limit it to just once a day and over a short period. The worst thing is grazing for hours. Having a treat once a day (after you have cleaned your teeth) isn't so bad. Just make sure you wait half an hour after eating before you brush again (as acid attacks soften the enamel and you can damage more by brushing straight after), maybe rinse with water to get rid of any acid. Flossing is ok though at any time. Once you stop sugar and soda you find that you stop craving them. Soda is the funniest thing, totally man-made. But so addictive. It's really best if you try to cut it and sugar out. If you must have soda or juice drink through a straw and try not to get it on you teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question