Damaged enamel=decay?

I have white spots on my front teeth signalling weakened enamel, no doubt from poor brushing habits as a child. Considering I brush, floss, mouthwash twice a day, is it likely that the worn enamel will still lead to decay in the future?

Thanks in advance.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is difficult to predict. Dentists consider risk factors. There is a triad of major risk factors for teeth health. First is home care. Your friendly hygienist can help you with good home care. Second is diet. I find that sugary and acidic beverages can really damage your teeth because it bathes all surfaces. The longer the beverage gets in contact, the more damage. Third factor is adequate Fluoride whether in the toothpaste, topical application in the dental clinic, or systemic in the water source. Other factors can include inadequate saliva flow from medications and or radiation treatments. Worn enamel may not protect as well as intact enamel so you need to take more effort in reducing your risks. The areas in teeth that tend to get cavities are in between teeth, occlusal (biting surfaces) and along the gum line. The natural cleaning ability of the tongue and cheek as well as adequate saliva flow usually protects most of the teeth's other surfaces.

Vote:
Thanks very much for the reply.

I'm fairly well-covered regarding those risk factors. Little sugary food, little alcohol, I use fluoridated toothpaste and I don't suppose there's anything wrong with my saliva.

One more question if you don't mind: is whitening treatment a poor idea under my circumstances?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Whitening will not alter the strength of enamel. It may make your teeth and gums more sensitive. It won't whiten any restorations and may make them not match up. Whitening is only temporary and your teeth will slowly go back to its original color.

Vote:

Ask a Question