Implant Supported Bridge

I have existing implants on #8 and #10. They are a few years old and are very solid. An existing crown on #9 broke off at the gum line. Course of treatment is a 3 unit implant supported bridge on 8,9,10. 9 has been extracted, however the Dentist is requiring 8 weeks healing prior to doing the impressions. Is this length of time typical? What is the reason for the long wait. Any thoughts are appreciated..

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
8 weeks is the minimum, I would prefer 10-12 weeks. The gum will heal over within 2-3 weeks, but the bone keeps shrinking (remodeling) over following 2-3 months. If you do the bridge earlier, then a gap will slowly appear, and it'll be annoying. Wait for maximum bone shrinkage.

Vote:
I’m scheduled for impressions at 8 weeks. He’s doing placement 3 weeks later as we’re embarking on a cruise 3 weeks after that. The temporary is acrylic and I want to vacation without the very breakable temp on my front teeth. I hope that this works out. Thank you so much for your opinion
It’s 5 weeks today.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question