Implant supported bridge- need advice

I have been missing teeth number 12, 13, 14, 15. Right now I'm in the process of discussing implant supported bridge to fill in the gap. Ideally, I would be opting for placing implants to replace tooth #12 and #15 and creating a bridge to replace #13 and #14. My dentist says that it won't possible because I have too much bone loss over where tooth#12 used to be and the only solution is to create a natural tooth and implant supported bridge.
Is that only option I have? What else can be done here? I'm scared of connecting a healthy tooth with a implant because I've read that most dentists don't recommend it.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Don't connect a natural tooth to an implant, that is something that usually ends badly. You are better off doing a bone graft where #12 is so an implant can be supported there instead.

Vote:
Thank you for the answer to my question. My dentist says I don't have enough existing bone around #12 to do a bone graft. What can I do in this situation? Do I have any other options left?

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I can't think of many situations where a bone graft cannot be done in the #12 area to allow for an implant. The technical terms for what you MIGHT need is a "block graft" or a "sinus lift", and if you sent an x-ray I could tell you more. But your dentist may not be able to do some of these procedures as they are more advanced, so is telling you there is no option for it. This is why you need a second opinion from someone like an oral surgeon. Also, an implant supported bridge from #12-15 is longer than I would personally feel comfortable with, but if #12 was a natural tooth which was in poor shape, there is no way I would consider connecting it to an implant in the #15 position.

Vote:

Ask a Question