What's a good type of cement to re-cement an implant?

PWB

I've got an implant for a top front tooth. It screws in but was also cemented into place some time ago. The cement has failed and now when screwed in fully the tooth is crooked. I've tried to cement it with zinc polycarboxylate, and also another cement based on zinc oxide, without success. My feeling is that if I can find the right cement it should go back in nicely. Has anyone on here done this, or can anyone suggest a good type of cement for this job?

I'm in the UK and have an NHS dentist - they won't fix it because the NHS doesn't touch implants.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Doesn't make a lot of sense. They are either screw-in or cemented, not both. Any X-rays to show us? Any details about the brand and model of implant?

Vote:

PWB

Thanks for getting back to me. Implant went in 2017; documents just call it an implant, but I have attached an xray which shows the left central incisor. The "therapeutic relationship" with the dental surgeon broke down; the owner of the practice, a GDP in UK terms (a primary care dental doctor), straightened the tooth - I thought she cemented it, but she may have just used some kind of tool, I just can't remember. If this is a screw, which when screwed in fully is now crooked, could I screw it to a straight position and cement it there? If so, what type of cement would be good for this job?

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 10

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can't help you much more; you'd really have to find someone local.What I can see is that you don't have much in the back teeth to chew on, your lower front teeth are severely attritioned, and your upper front tooth is a long crown. This all means that you are putting a lot of unnatural chewing forces on the front tooth which is at a mechanical disadvantage due to the shearing forces. You should really get upper and lower partial dentures to move the chewing forces to the back teeth where they belong. Otherwise I envisage that front crown will keep coming off.

Vote:

PWB

Thanks for your comments on the x-ray. That's the only one I've got and it dates back to 2017. I've got a plate in the lower mouth; NHS treats the attrition with fillings, and I wear a mouth guard at night.

The gap on the upper right has now been closed with a long bridge - the previously mentioned dental surgeon put in an implant, which failed - he had to dig it out of the sinus cavity. There is a successful implant closing some of the gap on the upper left. The crown on the right central incisor came off a number of times so I have that on a plate now.

My question was about a do-it-myself repair on the left central incisor. I take it that you don't consider it safe for a patient to do that.

Vote:

Ask a Question