If cracked tooth reaches below gum and root is removed, can tooth still be saved?

I had a cracked tooth and my dentist said it looks quite deep and I beleive he said if the tooth cracks below the gum line and the root comes out, then the tooth will have to be extracted and it can't be crowned.

Is this correct?

I beleive the other three roots are intact, why can't they find a way of preserving the tooth, is it because the crown needs for a complete rather than 3/4 base to cling onto?

If I've lost one root, is my only option extraction now?

Thanks.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you lose a root, then crowning is rarely possible - never had the opportunity in my life for such a case. However, if the tooth has had RCT previously, and the filling on top is reasonable, then you can smooth off the broken part, and it my function for many years. The only issues are that they are likely to fracture again, and they are also more likely to have some gum problems because the natural shape of the tooth has been altered.

Vote:

Ask a Question