Cracked tooth root treatment concerns

Hi experts! Any advice appreciated as I'm getting really anxious over this!

I have a lower left 7 with 2 cracks on it (Endo placed microscope over it after removing filling as I've had pain on biting for over a year).

Temporary crown over a replacement filling hasn't made any difference so my next option is a root canal and crown or to have it extracted.

If I had a root canal would I be in pain on an aeroplane, I'm due to fly soon after and I'm concerned that although the nerve has been removed (is that right?), the cracks would cause pain at high altitude. I've heard horror stories of this but can't see how it would if the tooth is effectively dead?

Please help me with any thoughts.

Thanks in advance x

I wouldn't worry about flying & cracks. But try not to clench on take off and landing.

Did you say you have cracks down the root?

Thanks so much for replying, I don’t know to be honest, I should have asked really. The cracks didn’t show on an X-ray, only when he examined the tooth under the filling under the microscope so i don’t think he knows if the root is cracked as I think they’re pesky hidden cracks if that’s possible? Would that make a difference to the pain if they were in the root?
Thanks

Vote:
hello

ya cracks in root makes difference.
Treatment options differ based on cracks extension
If u can be more precise , we can tell u the extact treatment to be done

Thanks

Ah right thanks for that, I’ll try to find out if he knows but with it not showing on the X-ray, I think he’ll just have to guess. There’s a lot of pain when I bite so I’m assuming they’re in the root but could be wrong.

If it’s in the root would you say extract?

Do you think it will hurt at altitude?

Thankyou

Vote:
hello

yes if it extends to the root also there to the amount of extension in the root matters.
if the extension is more in the root with lot of pain the best treatment is to extract the tooth and replace the tooth.
yes as the altitude increases it hurts. It is called Barodontalgia.

Thanks

Vote:
hello

yes if it extends to the root also there to the amount of extension in the root matters.
if the extension is more in the root with lot of pain the best treatment is to extract the tooth and replace the tooth.
yes as the altitude increases it hurts. It is called Barodontalgia.

Thanks

Oh no! I was hoping if the pulp was removed I wouldn’t be able to feel pain on board but looks like the myth is real!! Thanks again for your advice!

Vote:

Ask a Question