dental filling to prevent future cracked tooth

My dentist of over 20 years recently retired. I am 62 years old. My new dentist advises I have an upper tooth, 4th from the front, that has a depression and he says it may crack down the road. He wants to put a filling in the tooth. I just saw my old dentist in April for a regular checkup and he made no mention of this tooth depression. Now I have my doubts as to whether the tooth really needs to be filled. Any thoughts, comments.

My dentist of over 20 years recently retired. I am 62 years old. My new dentist advises I have an upper tooth, 4th from the front, that has a depression and he says it may crack down the road. He wants to put a filling in the tooth. I just saw my old dentist in April for a regular checkup and he made no mention of this tooth depression. Now I have my doubts as to whether the tooth really needs to be filled. Any thoughts, comments.
Hello Mary,

Is this 'depression' you are talking about, a tooth abrasion? Did the dentist mention this to you? If this is it - well it is caused by wrong strokes used in brushing plus using a hard-bristled brush. You may be abrading the surfaces of your teeth due to this wrong practice. And yes, if you don't correct your brushing technique your teeth could really crack, soon.

Although, this kind of filling can easily dislodge also - at least it can protect or be a temporary remedy, if not properly taken care of.

If you may be in doubt of any treatment suggested to you by a dentist, you may always seek a second opinion, a third or more until someone can offer other treatment options that is agreeable to both parties. BUT somethig has to be done.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question