Extreme sharp pain days after root canal

I had a root canal procedure on the 16th of january 2018 but i still have very strong pain. Let me go into detail. A few weeks ago my 5 tooth on the lower jaw, left side, started to hurt a bit and it was common because i would usually have food stuck between that tooth an the ones next to it and i always used dental floss to remove i, but this one time i irritated my gum because it was red and had a few blood spots. Around that time, maybe a day late,my tooth started to hurt. I went to the dentist and she said the same thing about my gum. Just in case she opened my tooth to see if there was caries. She barely scratched the surface but it felt really really painful, like she was drilling right down to the roots. Because it hurt very badly and there was no visible damage or any kind of decay she put some kind of drug for pain relief and i had another appointment for 5 days later. Later that night, after i came home my tooth started to hurt again this time a little worse than before. Because it was friday night i had to go to the emergency room because of pain. The doc there said to me that it it the nerve because the ONLY way to reduce pain was with cold water, nothing else because i had drank ipobrufen twice that day and it didn't help . He suggested we do a root canal right there but without anesthesia but i declined. The weekend was hell because i literally couldn't sleep because of pain. After the weekend on monday 15th january i had an x-ray of all my teeth and went to have a root canal. At this point i have to point out that on the x-ray there wasn't any kind of problems, no absces, no swelling, nothing. The procedure went well the nerve got out whole nothing inside the canals left. She even reopened my 4th tooth, next to this one,on which i had a root canal done a year earlier, cleaned it and reasealled it temporarily. Because i was very tired and under local anesthesia i fell asleep relived that the pain is finally over. Oh how wrong i was... I woke up 5 hours later with the same pain on the same spot... I went back to the dentist and she was confused why i had pain that only goes away with cold water. I went again to do a detailed x-ray of that tooth and the 2 next to it, went back to the dentist she reopened both my teeth re-cleaned them, prescribed me an antibiotic because she suspected that there might be a bone infection. Now it's the third day after the root canal and the pain isn't leaving nor it is decreasing. When i apply cold water the pain instantly goes away but then after a few minutes it reapers at first a very light dull sensation and it escalates in about 30 sec to 1 min into a very extreme sharp pain similar to when someone is touching a nerve in an open tooth. I need help to ease the pain at least so i can sleep because im basically 24h a day with water in my mouth and it's really ruining my day to day life... Thank you

Dusan Cirkovic

Verified Dentist
This situation is not very often, but it may be that pain comes from the other tooth. Did you made OPT? If so, please make a picture and than send me.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm surprised that the dentist took out the nerve if there was no evidence on x ray etc. Did she say it was dead? It could be it will take a while to settle down after the root treatment. If there is no nerve in the tooth then it shouldn't hurt so much unless the root treatment was not carried out properly. Go and see an endodontist for a second opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question