Extraction stopped and prescribed antibiotics

Hi

I am having some dental implants. For one tooth the reason is that they could see infection (confirmed by my main dentist) and in the future was likely to cause some issues, but at this time wasn't 'active'. Today, I was supposed to have a tooth extracted and was in the chair for over 2.5 hours trying to have it removed - with one root extracted and the other causing pain when touched.

The implant dentist stopped the extraction because I was experiencing pain when the remaining part of the tooth was touched. I not normally scared or phased by the dentist, but today my body was shaking and the time in the chair felt endless. I have been advised to come back on Friday (so, 2 days later) to have the remaining tooth removed which will be mid-course antibiotic treatment.

Can anyone reassure me that this type of situation can happen? I am scared that I have picked a dentist for implants and the general dentistry isn't as good as the implant technology.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Putting myself in your dentist's place, the reason for the return visit is to minimize further trauma in removing the remaining root. In time, the bone around the retained root will soften in efforts to exfoliate it and become easier to remove. Unfortunately I'm unable to answer many of your questions because I'm not familiar with the details of your procedure and treatment plan. It is best to find a dental team you trust and stick with it.

Vote:

Ask a Question