Dental advice please.Tooth pain or pressure even after 8 months of cavity fillings

Solutions
Hi,

I had 4 tooth cavity fillings in the month of June 2018. The numbers are 13,14,15,19.

I had severe sharp pain after the fillings done and I went to my dentist and he filed down the high fillings. I went for four visits as I always feel some discomfort or some pressure in the left lower side of my mouth. He filed down the extra in my 3 visits and in the 4th visit, he said there might be bubbles inside the filling and the filling has to be replaced.

I am always do nervous about dental visit and this was my first cavity filling done in my life. So, I was worried about doing it again. He told that it has to be redone to the tooth number 19.He didn't take any x-rays.

I am so worried and didn't go back to the dentist. I still get the pain or pressure feeling in my lower left side of the mouth. I am not sure if it's because of the air bubbles in the tooth number 19 or the fillings done in the upper left side tooth too. I am not sure which one is causing problem. How to identify the air bubbles in the cavity filling? What should do I do now?

kindly please help me with your advice. It really makes me nervous.

Thank you!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Most likely your dentist placed tooth colored composite fillings. Unfortunately all modern composites shrink about 1% during light cure. With the shrinkage, there could be gaps, voids, or sometimes air bubbles. There is a new bioactive filling material called Activa which won't shrink and bonds naturally to teeth. Ask your dentist about that product. It is more expensive because it is relatively new to the market.

Vote:
Solutions
Most likely your dentist placed tooth colored composite fillings. Unfortunately all modern composites shrink about 1% during light cure. With the shrinkage, there could be gaps, voids, or sometimes air bubbles. There is a new bioactive filling material called Activa which won't shrink and bonds naturally to teeth. Ask your dentist about that product. It is more expensive because it is relatively new to the market.
Thank you so much for your reply @honestdoc.
Yes,my doctor used composite resin fillings.
I will check it out about the new material. And do the refilling is the only option to recover from pain or any bite adjustments is enough? I am so worried that doing the filling again will drill out my tooth more. Whether the filling done again with composite resin material cause issues like this again? Need inputs on this please.
Thank you!

Vote:
Solutions
If x-rays look ok, it is best to minimize drilling.
Whether the air bubbles will be identified in the x-rays? How to identify air bubbles? I am planning to go to a new dentist this time to check this issue. I am not much satisfied with my previous dentist filling work. So, I would like to know how to identify the air bubbles or gap between the fillings and the tooth?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It's difficult for an untrained eye to diagnose dental x-rays. The filling will be white (more dense). A gap or an air bubble with be dark (less dense). Many times you may see a dark line around the white composite due to its light curing shrinkage. You may post it for us to look at it.

Vote:
Solutions
It's difficult for an untrained eye to diagnose dental x-rays. The filling will be white (more dense). A gap or an air bubble with be dark (less dense). Many times you may see a dark line around the white composite due to its light curing shrinkage. You may post it for us to look at it.
Sure. I will definitely post it here. I am planning to go to a different dentist this time and get an x-ray done.

Vote:
Solutions
Hi,
I have an another issue that happens only after the fillings are done. I don't feel like my upper and lower tooth not meeting properly after the fillings and those bite adjustments i had in the 3 visits after the filling. In the 4th visit, the dentist said the bites are fine and i have to refill the one filling again.But i still feel the teeth are non aligned. The lower ones are sliding over the upper ones and not aligning properly.Is that because of the air bubble in the filling? Do i need to visit another dentist for second opinion?

Vote:
Solutions
Hi,
Should I go to orthodontist or dentist for this issue?
I need to check why the pain or sharp pressure coming up from left lower side. I suddenly feel the pain coming more often past 2 days. Usually it will be on and off for sometime. It's coming up more often for past 2 days.
Thank you so much for replying all my queries @honestdoc.

Vote:
Solutions
I just have another question.
I am planning to go to a different dentist this time to check this issue. I need to tell them the history and they may take new x-rays if needed.
I don't have any new x-rays after the fillings done. Should I tell the new dentist that my previous dentist said that there are air bubbles and I had to refill the fillings. Should I tell this or not? Or I just mention the issue and wait for their inputs/solutions?

Vote:
Solutions
Have your dentist check your bite when you are sitting upright not laying down. Sitting up should give you a more accurate bite.
I just have another question.
I am planning to go to a different dentist this time to check this issue. I need to tell them the history and they may take new x-rays if needed.
I don't have any new x-rays after the fillings done. Should I tell the new dentist that my previous dentist said that there are air bubbles and I had to refill the fillings. Should I tell this or not? Or I just mention the issue and wait for their inputs/solutions?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Where are you located? In the US, dental insurance will only pay for the fillings once. The other dentist will charge you for any new fillings/work done. You may have a massive bill that insurance won't pay for. Best to see the same dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
Where are you located? In the US, dental insurance will only pay for the fillings once. The other dentist will charge you for any new fillings/work done. You may have a massive bill that insurance won't pay for. Best to see the same dentist.
Thank you so much for your reply @honestdoc . I am in the US. My first dentist said he will do the refilling for free as the first work was not properly done. I know there will be out of pocket even for the consultation with second dentist.
But I am not so happy with my first dentist work and i want to make sure what's the exact issue. That's the reason, I am looking for second opinion. If the second dentist say that the refilling has to be done and can I go to the first dentist to redo the filling? In that case, I can save my dollars and I can be sure of what's the exact issue.

Also, I got a chance to send my x-rays to my family doctor back in my home country. He said, I don't need fillings for these small cavities and he mentioned that 2 cavities were small and you would have avoided that. So, I am just confused why my new dentist in the US told me to do all the 4 fillings. I didn't look for any second opinion and filled it up. So, I am just wanna make sure with another dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
I'm sorry to say, many dentist in the US can be money hungry. You can try the 2nd dentist. Hopefully it will work in your favor.
Thank you @honestdoc .
Is that ok when we do the filling when it is actually not necessary? I mean that unnecessary cavity fillings. Does it cause any issues? I am feeling so bad that I filled it up without a second opinion. Looks like my cavities are not so big and the filling would have been avoided.
So, do we need to replace these small fillings once every 5 or 7 years?

Vote:

Ask a Question