Advice on avoiding abcesses since no dental insurance

B K

I wanted to ask a dentist an advice question.

My issue is I have periodontitis that is progressing (sensitive teeth and tooth/jaw pain, receding gumlines, etc) and probably as a result have many cavities. I can't get more than one or two cavities filled since my dental benefit on my insurance is only $500 per year (which gets eaten up every year by my yearly exam/x-rays and one or two fillings which there invariably is, every year). I got peridontitis to start with since my dental was canceled on my insurance several years ago so plaque built up as I couldn't afford to go for my yearly exam and "scrape".

Anyway, my question is: if I have more than a couple cavities the next time I go in, obviously I won't be able to get them filled so how do I avoid abcesses and other complications of that? I would like to get my periodontitis treated, but again, I could never afford it.

Any tips???

Unfortunately when cavities aren't filled they continue to get larger and will eventually reach the pulp of the tooth. Once this happens a root canal is necessary if the tooth is restorable. Root canals can be expensive so it is much better to fix teeth when the decay is minor, even if you can only afford to fix one tooth at a time. Treating your periodontal disease is also a very wise decision because it can adversely affect other areas of your body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question