Patient-Doctor advice and my future dental work

Hi, I am 36 years old. I was born with a condition in which around 40% of my teeth didn’t come with adulthood replacements. Since 12 I have had orthodontic work done and by 23 I got an extensive (and expensive) work done involving crowns and bridges (by my current Doctor), for which several teeth were pulled out (I argued I wanted all of them saved but because of spacing he advised against). He said, because of my age, that would be the best solution then, leaving future developments in the field possible for me. At the time, I was happy with my smile. Since then, in average, every 3 years there has been a failure of a unit that has to be redone (at my expense). Last year I had enough of this and insisted in a new stage of my life to start replacing failed bridges with implants and crowns. My first one was a 4-unit bridge being replaced with 2 implants but he left the old retainer crowns. Now, an adjoining bridge failed, one that was sharing one of those eroded retainers. I was happy to proceed with an implant but unfortunately the bone has been lost over that specific bridge (remember I had teeth pulled out); he wants to do a Zirconia bridge.

By now you might understand how I feel and when is this going to end. I take good care of my teeth and diet. I am left with this complex dental condition (his creation), which is becoming a financial load on me. I feel as well he has neglected aesthetics in his work regarding whitening and color matching but that is another story; I am not 100% happy with my smile now.

I wish I could have work done which guarantee me 25 years of mostly peace of mind and a happy smile…I am just looking for external thoughts on my case, thanks for your time.

Ask a Question