Delay Root Canal

Hello,
Pls see attached xray of my teeth.
- may i know, if its possible for you to understand from the xray, if root canal is mandatory for my teeth? or can i delay root canal for few months ?
-Can i delay root canal treatment for 3 months ? its quite costly and i need to arrange the fund
- If not possible, then can i just do a Partial Pulpectomy and then do the remaining root canal treatment after 3 months?
- Will the pain go away when i complete my antibiotic in another 3 days?
- or if it is not possible at all, then should i extract/remove my teeth
--History------
I am 35, never had any teeth issue until now, I consulted a dentist after having tooth ache for 5 days. Dentist told i will have to do Root canal. Prescribed these medicine. pain is going away for 8 hours when i take a paracetamol 500mg. didn't find much use of ibuprofen for pain

Metronidazole 400mg
Amoxilin 500mg
Pain Killer = ibuprofen 200
paracetamol 500mg

Attachments

• Xray Teeth.JPG
    Xray Teeth.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
If your tooth is aching, the pulp is infected and needs to be removed.

Generally speaking, the sooner you get the tooth treated, the greater are your chance of keeping it.

From what I can see as a total non-professional in regard to teeth, there is no abscess around your teeth meaning there's some hope the decay hasn't extended beyond the apical foramen. The tooth without pain relief will ache until the decay breaches the foramen, the blood supply is shut off to the pulp in the tooth and the pulp nerve becomes necrotic. You then have a highly infected tooth which is almost certainly going to produce pus and your system will not be able to close off (calcify) the foramen. The pus will create an abscess and eventually probably other "holes" in your gum if not eventually in your cheek and beyond. The abscess may cause a little or great pain (especially when you bite on the tooth). The pus may also damage the foramen when you may then need surgery cutting open the gum to treat it. The dentine in the tooth will be subject to (further) erosion from the pus and from acids from bacterial action on sugars in the mouth. You will also be at risk of septicemia (blood poisoning) which can be quite serious.

I did have a tooth where a leaking amalgam filling had allowed the pulp to become infected, and which I'd allowed to continue exuding pus through the gum for about 8 years, finally treated. It was done in more than one stage with a few weeks between the stages (not 3 months).

I think the success rate for a root canal treatment is 90+% on a good day.

If you can clean the tooth, swish it round with a good strong mouthwash, rub salt on it, or put a little swab of cotton wool soaked in clove oil on it and the pain goes and stays gone (unless you eat something – which you don't do), maybe you'd only need a conventional filling, but if you've left aching for 5 days and you've gone to a good dentist ...

Last edited:

Vote:
Actually, if the decay hasn't reached the roots, maybe it's possible, in theory at least, just to have the pulp cavity clean out and filled. I did have two roots of a three-rooted tooth molar root-filled and the third was sealed off with a lining. It may be necessary to be ready for some pain, or the approach of pain – the dentist is going to want to know that the nerves in the roots are still live. The drill is the most effective way of ascertaining this, but there are electrical methods – maybe you could have the pulp chamber cleared out and then when the anaesthetic wears off, an electrical test. If you brave that, you will want the lining, you do not want a composite filling chemically killing off a live nerve, believe me.

Vote:

Ask a Question