Pulsating 12 Days Post Extraction

Hello,

I had a lower left left molar extracted 12 days ago, as I had it root canal'd and crowned and still could not chew on it. I've been back to the dentist a couple times since the extraction the most recent being 5 days ago (1 week following the extraction). She said there was no sign of infection or dry socket but that the wound was healing a bit slower than she would like to see, she re-induced some bleeding to hopefully help this process.

It's now been 12 days total since the tooth was pulled and I'm still getting the same dull throbbing pain in the extraction area. It's especially bad if I have to bend over to pick something up, or if I have to run/jog briefly. Sometimes it feels like its coming from the teeth near it or above it on the top.

At this point I've convinced myself that either a) I pulled the wrong tooth to begin with or b) its going to throb for the rest of time.

Is it possible for it still to subside at this point? Two weeks seems like a long time for just regular healing and pain to subside given that there are supposedly no other complications in play.

Any thoughts?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Have your medical evaluate for possible sinus pain. Tooth pain when bending over, run/jog, walking up & downstairs can indicate possible sinusitis.

Vote:
Surrounding and opposing teeth were tested today via percussion test, with nothing found as far as that is concerned. They did mention sinus's but didn't seem to think that would be a factor because of no percussion sensitivity. I don't feel "congested" at all...but perhaps a trip to my GP would be worth exploring.

As far as my dentist can tell the extraction has been healing well and shouldn't be causing me problems at this point, so certainly a secondary factor seems to be in play...

Thanks for the reply's - the communication helps a lot with my health anxiety!

Vote:
Remarkably 18 days after the extraction I'm finally starting to feel much better. I guess everyone's body is truly unique. To anyone else out there like me who tends to look at typical healing times and create anxiety and pressure for yourself based on it. Be patient and listen to the what the dental professionals are saying, even when its very difficult.

Thanks again for the reply's, they helped me through a very difficult time.

Vote:

Ask a Question