Day4 post extraction - dry socket question

Hi!

I had a mandibular molar extracted on Monday (i'm around 90hrs post op i think) and I had the socket cleaned and a dressing applied on Wednesday. I've had no pain or inflamation so far.

Am I safe from getting dry socket at this point? I haven't smoked in 4 days and I'd really love a cig but i don't want to risk getting a dry socket after reading too many horror stories online. I've been pretty good with doing saline rinses, eating soft foods and not chewing on the side of the extraction, no smoking and mostly drinking water (had a cup of coffee today but that's it). I've attached a photo of what my extraction site looks like right now. I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a look and tell me if the socket looks normal and whether or not I'm safe to smoke . Thanks!

Attachments

• 20181122_224849.jpg
    20181122_224849.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,821

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Your dentist appears to have packed it with Alvogyl, which is a medicated dressing for dry sockets. Interesting that it's still there, and that he would use it prophylactically, but whatever... If you've gotten past Day 4 without significant pain, then you're past the danger period for dry sockets.

Vote:
Your dentist appears to have packed it with Alvogyl, which is a medicated dressing for dry sockets. Interesting that it's still there, and that he would use it prophylactically, but whatever... If you've gotten past Day 4 without significant pain, then you're past the danger period for dry sockets.

Thanks for your reply! What a relief to know I'm past the danger. I've had almost no pain whatsoever since Monday, whatever inflamation there was went away in the first few hours post op.

I was very careful with what and how I was eating, not to dislodge the dressing. Maybe that's why it's still there? Do you think I should call in and have the dressing topped up or does it not matter at this point?

Vote:

Ask a Question