Crown not fitting properly

I recently had a crown my first crown fitted to replace a filling that had recently come out. I decided on a part metal, part porcelain crown and after fitting I found that when I closed my teeth together the crown was pressing on the upper tooth. The dentist ground some of the crown away but it was still uncomfortable so more was ground away. Even after grinding more of the crown away and revealing the metal underneath it didn't feel right. The dentist advised me to try it for a few weeks and said my jaw would adjust and I'd get used to it in time. I soon found my upper tooth ached after eating and sometimes both my crowned tooth and upper tooth would ache. Although there was a slight improvement after 2 weeks it still didn't feel comfortable. I booked another appointment and the dentist ground more of the crown until it felt somewhere near comfortable. I also pointed out to the dentist that the inside of my tooth was rough and told it was where the crown meets the tooth.

I'm still not happy with the end result even though I'm used to it now, as half of the crown is showing the metal. I'm also cleaning the inside of the tooth thoroughly as I'm concerned that plaque etc can easily form and soon undermine the crown. Can anyone advise how to deal with this matter? This is the first time the dentist has done work on my teeth (my old dentist left a months ago) and I'm very reluctant to go back. I'm with a well known private dental care so going elsewhere for a second opinion could be quite costly.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It sounds like there was no proper planning done. And at this stage the crown is damaged and compromised as well. I would insist on a new crown being made, since it sounds like the underlying tooth was not reduced enough, in order to leave space for the crown. Or the lab, did not design the crown properly. I would not settle for sub-par treatment, since a crown is expensive.

Vote:

Ask a Question