Bad taste in mouth after gum line filling

Two years ago, I discovered I had a small gum line cavity behind the back molar on the lower, left-hand side of my mouth. Apparently, when I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed years earlier, a tiny piece of my jaw was removed, creating a pocket in my gum where the cavity formed.

The dentist told me I needed an amalgam filling, due to the high-moisture content of the area, and that, in spite of the location, it would not be very difficult to treat.

I had no problems with it, up until a few months ago when I noticed a faint odor when I flossed the area. I went back to the dentist, who after taking an x-ray, told me there was recurrent decay behind the filling. He told me that there wasn't significant decay, and that it was nowhere near the root. He removed the old filling, drilled my tooth further and put a new filling in, a small portion of which extended below the gum line. He told me that gum injuries heal very quickly, and to take Advil for any pain.

I had no pain, but two days later, I developed a bad taste in my mouth. Concerned I had an infection, I took antibiotics, and called the dental office when they opened. I was told that the bad taste was due to natural healing, but to continue with the antibiotics, if I wanted to.

After three weeks, when the problem persisted, I was told to come back in for a re-check. An x-ray showed that the portion of the flling below my gum line was stuck in my gum tissue, rather than contoured against my tooth. I was told that my gum was bloody and irritated, and the errant filling piece created a bacterial trap, which was causing the bad taste. I was also told that the x-ray showed no problem with the filling itself.

The dentist then proceeded to peel back the gum tissue covering this piece of filling. He said he used a filer to shape the filling to my tooth, and did not do any further drilling. The hygienist cleaned the area afterwards with a hydroponic water pik. They took several x-rays, said it was okay, and that my gum should heal quickly.

This was ten days ago. Since then, I've been brushing and flossing gently, taking ibuprofen, doing saltwater rinses after every meal, eating mostly soft foods and chewing on the opposite side of my mouth. However, I still have a bad taste in my mouth, which seems worse after I brush my teeth in the morning. Some days it seems a little better, but the next day, it seems to return. I would describe it as a stale taste, and my mouth doesn't feel clean. It doesn't seem to be coming from the filling.

I've never had a problem with food getting stuck back there before or with being able to keep the area clean. I've also never had any kind of issues with my gums, wound healing or bad breath before. I've used a dental mirror to try and look at the area. It looks clean, and I don't see or taste blood, but I think some swelling remains.

This has been causing me a lot of stress, and I'd appreciate any input on what could be causing this, if there's anything else I could do to treat the area, and the timeline for when I should expect it to heal and/or when I should consider going back to the dentist.

When last did you go for a proper cleaning with a dentist or dental hygienist?
Thank you for your reply.

My last cleaning was two years ago, just prior to having the cavity filled. I'm scheduled for another next month.

I don't really have a problem with plaque or tartar buildup, and the dentist told me, prior to doing the work last month, that I was doing a very good job of keeping the area behind my tooth clean. Since the bad taste occurred right after the cavity was refilled, I've been assuming it's connected to that.

I don't know if this is related or not, but since I had the work done, my mouth has been drier than normal. I've been sleeping with a humidifier on and sipping water at night. But, when I wake up, I have an off taste in my mouth, almost like I have a cold. I've never had this problem before. I can't drink coffee in the morning any longer because the taste is unpleasant. Even after brushing, this taste lingers. It's not as bad in the evening after I brush again.

My biggest concern is that there's an issue with the filling, although the dentist reassured me there was not. In the alternative, I'm wondering if my gums aren't healed and could be causing this.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Vote:
Thank you again for your replies.

I don't have a copy of the x-ray, although I can request one today, if you think the filling may be an issue.

Do you think it is likely my filling, my gums, dry mouth or something else causing this? Is there anything you would recommend doing at this point?

Thanks again for your time.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
A recent x-ray of the tooth will be helpful. A cleaning might also be helpful. 2 years between cleanings is not recommended. We usually recommend once every 6 months. Although you brush twice a day and practice meticulous oral hygiene, there is still some areas that you miss. The build up of calculus can then contribute to inflammation and/or a bad taste in the mouth.

Vote:
A recent x-ray of the tooth will be helpful. A cleaning might also be helpful. 2 years between cleanings is not recommended. We usually recommend once every 6 months. Although you brush twice a day and practice meticulous oral hygiene, there is still some areas that you miss. The build up of calculus can then contribute to inflammation and/or a bad taste in the mouth.
Thank you for your reply and for your advice regarding the cleaning. My appointment is next month, and I hope that helps matters some.

I have also left a message with the dental office regarding the x-ray, and will post upon receipt.

Thank you again for your time and your help.

Vote:
Thank you for your reply and for your advice regarding the cleaning. My appointment is next month, and I hope that helps matters some.

I have also left a message with the dental office regarding the x-ray, and will post upon receipt.

Thank you again for your time and your help.
Attached is the most recent x-ray of my tooth.

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Attachments

• X09705.JPG
    X09705.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 11

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It does look like the filling is good, but it seems like there is some amalgam residue below the gum, on the back side of the tooth. I would ask the dentist to clean out this area properly when you go for your cleaning. It might be causing an irritation, leading to the bad taste. Still mention the dry mouth as well though.

Vote:
It does look like the filling is good, but it seems like there is some amalgam residue below the gum, on the back side of the tooth. I would ask the dentist to clean out this area properly when you go for your cleaning. It might be causing an irritation, leading to the bad taste. Still mention the dry mouth as well though.
Thank you very much for looking at the x-ray. I'm relieved to hear you think the filling looks okay. I noticed those pieces on the back side of my tooth, as well. I was afraid there was an issue with the filling back there, and that perhaps I had another bacterial trap. I'm glad you believe it's only residue. I will ask the hygienist to take care of that during my cleaning.

I don't want to take up any more of your time, but given that my cleaning is a month away, is there anything else I could be doing in the interim to try and alleviate the problem?

Thank you again for all your advice.

Vote:
Dr. M,
I was able to reschedule my dental cleaning, which took place yesterday. I mentioned to the hygienist about cleaning up the amalgam residue under the gum line, and she didn't think this would be a problem.

However, upon finishing, she took an x-ray which showed the residual amalgam was actually stuck to the filling. I was told by her and the dentist that I would need to come back to have the filling worked on again. The hygienist, in particular, mentioned the dentist needing to drill.

I'm attaching a copy of my most recent x-ray, and I would appreciate if you would take a look. To my unskilled eye, the filling actually looks worse than it did before, and I'm hoping she did not damage it in any way.

I understand the filling is in a difficult location, but I'm getting frustrated and concerned by having this tooth continually worked on. Could you please tell me what you would advise? On a positive note, the bad taste has disappeared, at least temporarily. If this remains the case, and the filling is still okay, would it be prudent to put off any further work at this time?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• X09705 (1).JPG
    X09705 (1).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 7

Vote:
Dr. M,
I was able to reschedule my dental cleaning, which took place yesterday. I mentioned to the hygienist about cleaning up the amalgam residue under the gum line, and she didn't think this would be a problem.

However, upon finishing, she took an x-ray which showed the residual amalgam was actually stuck to the filling. I was told by her and the dentist that I would need to come back to have the filling worked on again. The hygienist, in particular, mentioned the dentist needing to drill.

I'm attaching a copy of my most recent x-ray, and I would appreciate if you would take a look. To my unskilled eye, the filling actually looks worse than it did before, and I'm hoping she did not damage it in any way.

I understand the filling is in a difficult location, but I'm getting frustrated and concerned by having this tooth continually worked on. Could you please tell me what you would advise? On a positive note, the bad taste has disappeared, at least temporarily. If this remains the case, and the filling is still okay, would it be prudent to put off any further work at this time?

Thank you very much.
I apologize for posting twice, but the dental office contacted me about my next appointment, and I took the opportunity to ask them about the x-ray. I was told that the one sent to me this morning was not the most recent one available. The one attached to this reply purportedly is. I was told the thin line in the earlier filling, which caught my eye, was a "glitch."

The dentist advised to keep the appointment, and said there would be no drilling of the tooth involved. He would use the drill to remove the excess amalgam.

I'm sorry again for the two conflicting posts. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• X09705_1 (1).JPG
    X09705_1 (1).JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 8

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would suggest not undergoing any treatment if the taste disappeared. On the most recent x-ray, there is still a slight overhang of excess material, but it is so small it might never be an issue. Hold of on any unnecessary treatment for now.

Vote:
I would suggest not undergoing any treatment if the taste disappeared. On the most recent x-ray, there is still a slight overhang of excess material, but it is so small it might never be an issue. Hold of on any unnecessary treatment for now.
Thank you very much for your advice once again. I will do as you suggested.

Vote:
Thank you very much for your advice once again. I will do as you suggested.
Dr. M.,
I'm sorry to bother you again with yet another question. A few days after my cleaning, I started developing the bad taste again. It is not as bad as it used to be, although I do still have an off taste, particularly in the morning.

The hygienist had recommended I use a water flosser. I have started using one, and feel fairly confident that the area around the filling is clean, although, as I said, the bad taste persists.

My question is, in your opinion, would removing the excess overhang from the filling do anything to remedy the situation? On the one hand, I'm afraid to have the area worked on too much, but, if the filling is causing a problem, I don't want it to go unchecked.

I feel like the dental office is milking this situation by having me come in for so many visits. I have already paid quite a bit of money to have the filling redone, to have x-rays retaken (they claim to have lost the ones on file), and my upcoming visit to correct the filling would cost me as well. So, I don't trust their opinion as to what work is necessary. My next appointment is scheduled for January 31st, and I'm undecided as to whether I should keep it, cancel it or postpone.

As always, any insights or advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all your time and patience.

Vote:
Dr. M.,
I'm sorry to bother you again with yet another question. A few days after my cleaning, I started developing the bad taste again. It is not as bad as it used to be, although I do still have an off taste, particularly in the morning.

The hygienist had recommended I use a water flosser. I have started using one, and feel fairly confident that the area around the filling is clean, although, as I said, the bad taste persists.

My question is, in your opinion, would removing the excess overhang from the filling do anything to remedy the situation? On the one hand, I'm afraid to have the area worked on too much, but, if the filling is causing a problem, I don't want it to go unchecked.

I feel like the dental office is milking this situation by having me come in for so many visits. I have already paid quite a bit of money to have the filling redone, to have x-rays retaken (they claim to have lost the ones on file), and my upcoming visit to correct the filling would cost me as well. So, I don't trust their opinion as to what work is necessary. My next appointment is scheduled for January 31st, and I'm undecided as to whether I should keep it, cancel it or postpone.

As always, any insights or advice you have would be much appreciated. Thanks again for all your time and patience.
Just wanted to make one quick clarification. The dental office called asking me to confirm next week's appointment. I brought up the issue of payment, and was told there would be no charge for the work.

Sorry for posting twice. I would still very much appreciate any advice as to whether the work would be beneficial, but did want to clarify that point.

Thank you.

Vote:
Even though the procedure happened ten days ago, gum tissue healing can take longer, especially if irritated or exposed to bacteria. The bad taste could be due to leftover tissue debris, food particles trapped in the area, or slight inflammation. Peeling back gum tissue can cause temporary irritation, even with proper care. This irritation could contribute to the bad taste you're experiencing. Other factors such as dry mouth, certain medications, or sinus issues can also contribute to a bad taste in the mouth.

Gum tissue healing varies depending on individual factors and the extent of the procedure. While ten days is significant, full healing can take several weeks. If the bad taste doesn't significantly improve within two weeks or worsens, consulting your dentist for further evaluation is recommended.

Vote:
Even though the procedure happened ten days ago, gum tissue healing can take longer, especially if irritated or exposed to bacteria. The bad taste could be due to leftover tissue debris, food particles trapped in the area, or slight inflammation. Peeling back gum tissue can cause temporary irritation, even with proper care. This irritation could contribute to the bad taste you're experiencing. Other factors such as dry mouth, certain medications, or sinus issues can also contribute to a bad taste in the mouth.

Gum tissue healing varies depending on individual factors and the extent of the procedure. While ten days is significant, full healing can take several weeks. If the bad taste doesn't significantly improve within two weeks or worsens, consulting your dentist for further evaluation is recommended.
Thank you very much for the reply. I was actually just going to post another question related to my last dental appointment.

I went back 2.5 weeks ago to have the excess overhang removed from the filling. While there, I expressed my concern at having the filling worked on so many times, and my unhappiness with this persistent bad taste. After correcting the filling, the dentist told me for the first time that I had a 6-7 mm periodontal pocket behind my tooth, and he thought that was the source of the bad taste. I never had an issue with any pocket there before, and am wondering if putting in the new filling could have caused or worsened a pocket.

The dentist proceeded to do a deep cleaning of the tooth, told me to keep it clean and see a periodontist if I had further problems.

Since then, I've been diligent about my hygiene routine. I brush in the morning, followed by Listerine. After lunch, I oil pull with coconut oil, then brush. I do a saltwater rinse in the afternoon. Then, after dinner, I brush, floss, use a water flosser and more Listerine. My taste is still off, which concerns me, although it is better than it was before the deep cleaning.

My hope is to try and shrink the pockets somewhat these next few weeks with proper home care. I've read that pockets in the 4-5 mm range can be treated with routine dental cleanings. My plan, at this point, is to visit a new dentist in another month or so to assess where I'm at and see what he recommends.

Any advice as to how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Vote:

Ask a Question